Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of what I've tried evolve around pasta and tomato sauce. I'm hoping to get some new ideas before dh gives up on my meatless meals entirely!

I have chickens for eggs only and so last night we had scrambled eggs n tortillas.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Portabello mushroom burgers. Brush them with olive oil and grill them. Serve exactly like hamburgers using the same toppings. Sooooo good and very filling. Yeah, I know, we didn't believe it either. But then we tried them.

Here's some ideas from Bisquick. Search Results - Betty Crocker

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
falafel sandwiches -- you can buy a mix, they're economical too. Make the falafel patties and serve just like gyro sandwiches

vegetable soup -- these can be very hearty, and it's getting to be soup season. Start with a good veg broth and add whatever you like, or have: carrot, onion, celery, bell pepper, zuchinni, pumpkin, potatoes, beans, pasta, rice... serve with a good bread

vegetable sushi: not as hard to make as you might think. Vegetable strips on rice, rolled in nori. You can get instructions on youtube. Serve with some egg drop soup for a filling meal.

bean and cheese burritos, cheese quesadillas, both good with a nice salad

lentil stew: another good hearty winter dish, start with a good broth and add lots of root vegetables. If you're not going vegetarian, it is better with a little chopped kielbasa or crumbled sausage (a little goes a long way here)

egg salad sandwiches - an oldie but a goodie

grilled cheese with tomato soup -- ditto

peanut butter and jelly/banana/fluff -- ditto

pancakes or waffles with fruit (aka 'breakfast for dinner')

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I found this recipe online so I do not have the oven temp or time to cook the squash. I like to cut a spaghetti squash in half, take out the insides and cook it face down on a cookie sheet. While that is cooking I cut veggies, stir-fry them and add the shredded squash when it has finished cooing. I use soy sauce for seasoning and/or sweet chili sauce - Mmmmmm. By meat loving BF even likes it.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
baked potatos with veggies and cheese toppings
veggie pizza
oatmeal "burgers" (recipe used to be on this site)
meatless chili
quiche
lentil soup and homemade rolls

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have chickens for eggs only and so last night we had scrambled eggs n tortillas.
Great suggestions, I'll keep mine egg based as you have them.
Quiche - favourite here
Egg Noodle stir fry
Frittata - We love the ones with early potatoes
Summer stir fry with egg-fried rice
Spinach Soufflé with penne pasta (one pot dinner)
Omlette with homemad chips and salad can be lovely.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quinoa has become one of our favorite food finds this year. I love how versatile it is and can be used in so many different ways from salads to burgers to casseroles.

ETA: I ordered Mark Bittman's cookbook, How To Cook Everything Vegetarian, earlier this summer. There are literally thousands of recipes/variations in this book. By far, the absolute best cook book I've purchased in years.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I always like a fried egg on refried beans. Very filling. There are lots of vegetarian burger recipes on the web. He might like something like seitan. More chewy and substantial. If you make a frittatta with the eggs try adding some cooked potato into it.

Years ago I would take bocca burgers and chop them up and use in pasta sauce. Try making some stuffed zucchini or eggplant. Keep the stuffing part more substantial meaning you need to chew it more not mushy. Add cooked rice or barley, some large diced mushrooms, some salsa, etc. and bake. Could even sprinkle with some cheese. Also adding some beans would help with the texture and filling up.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Pepper and egg sandwiches - saute peppers and onions, add scrambled eggs and cook. Serve on scali bread. add cheese if desired.

I also love veggie burgers, my supermarket chain puts out their own brand (Price Chopper).

Also, saute onions and any other vegs you like, cook up some rice, add it all in together, add shredded cheese.

We eat meatless most days.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I second the burritos. My bf loves them with refried beans and cheese, I add spanish rice to mine and chopped onions. Filling and delicious.
Grilled cheese with tomato soup.
Cheese ravioli with salad and garlic bread.
Homemade baked mac and cheese with veggies or salad.
Hummus sandwiches with mayo and veggies on toasted bread with sweet potato fries.
Summer squash lasagna.
Veggies (summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, eggplant) with soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and garlic grilled over rice or asian noodles.
French toast with fruit on the side.
Homemade vegetable pizza.
Calzones.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are awesome. I never liked to cook before because I always felt so burnt out and un-inspired. Then I went meatless and well...that didn't help. I'll def be checking out the blogs.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Something really substantial is a thai peanut sauce over noodles. It is really filling and easy to make. I used to mix some peanut butter, some soy sauce, salt and pepper, some garlic, and some water to make a thick gravy consistency and poured over noodles, then toss noodles. You can thinly slice some carrots, celery, cucumbers, onions to mix in. Top with some chopped peanuts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for all the great ideas that were posted!
I am doing a pantry challenge because we are broke this month and you all gave me some great meals!

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
i don't have much to add..everything sounds delish..But I do have a vegggie chili that is pretty good. Onions, peppers, and zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic.. add blank beans, pintos, and a can veggie baked beans.. a can of fire roasted tomatoes.tomato sauce if u like, jalapeno if u like, chili powder and cumin to taste.season to your own taste.. simmer serve with rice and cornbread..

this is take off of one of Rachel Rays been making it for years and it is a method u make to your taste..I have added corn to it before still good.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
i don't have much to add..everything sounds delish..But I do have a vegggie chili that is pretty good. Onions, peppers, and zucchini sauteed in olive oil with garlic.. add blank beans, pintos, and a can veggie baked beans.. a can of fire roasted tomatoes.tomato sauce if u like, jalapeno if u like, chili powder and cumin to taste.season to your own taste.. simmer serve with rice and cornbread..
I was going to suggest something like this - I made a vegetable stew last week to use up garden veggies that were overflowing our kitchen. Instead of canned tomatoes or tomato sauce I diced up a whackload of fresh tomatoes and cooked them down with onion, celery, carrot, peppers, zucchini and eggplant. Then added in a can of undressed and rinsed bean salad and some seasonings. As the pot cooked down, the starch from the beans helped thicken it up. We served over rice.

Other suggestions:
* pasta alfredo
* pasta primivera (alfredo sauce w/veggies)
* vegetable curries - think indian ;)
* fritters/patties - mushed chick peas (not falafels) or zucchini
* vegetable wraps
* grilled veggie wraps/sammies/paninni's
* veggie fajitas/enchiladas
* vegetable fried rice
* mexican rice w/beans
* veggie stir fry w/tofu
* crudite spread - variety of veggies with hummus and other dips and cheese w/crackers - to fancy it up you could try a brie serve with fruit
* lentil loaf (mock meatloaf) or lentil casserole

Though you're going 'meatless' you can try meat substitutes - veggie burgers/dogs, seitan, tvp, tofu etc to help you transition so you think you're eating meat though you're not.

Some who do the 'meatless monday' thing still eat seafood and fish but purposely cut out the red meat, pork & chicken. So if you're incl fish & seafood - you're laughing! :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
In the deep south where I'm from, I grew up eating beans and rice...red beans, black-eyed peas, purple hull peas, speckled butter beans, field peas. A favorite meal is purple hulls and speckled BB's cooked separately and both served over rice with the "pot liquor" along with cornmeal battered fried okra and sliced tomatoes. Good eatin'!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts