Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i was visiting another site and came across this really neat idea. they took a bowling ball, and made it into a gazing ball for the yard. they took mosaic tiles and glass beads and used e-600 to glue them on, then used white grout to fill in, really cute and a neat idea. i work with challenged adults and want to make these however i am worried about the cost and the weight of the balls. any ideas on another item i can use, it would have to be heavy so they don't go flying away if it gets windy.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after thinking about it i was wondering if i took paper mache balls and weighted them with cement. wonder if it would work

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was interested after reading your 1st post and did a google search. There were some made on bowling balls with the silicone glue and the flat round colored glass marble things. They were really fun looking.

I think the weight of the glue, tiles, marbles or what ever you put on the papermache would crush it. One suggestion for low cost globes was to use old plastic or glass light fixture globes. The Goodwill around home doesn't take old bowling balls anymore...maybe if you got the word out you needed them you could get some donated.

Good poject!!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Maybe you could try the papermache and use sand to fill it, instead of cement. Thinking you could find sand for free at a beach (maybe). Maybe you could still use a styrofoam ball. You could cut it in half hollow out the pieces and insert some heavy rocks or something small that weighs a few poundsand fits in the hollow area. Then glue the styrofoam pieces back together. Then you could decorate as you want and when it's all complete I bet it would be heavy enough not to blow away

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
What about the large styrofoam balls? With all the grouts, glue, tiles etc... I think it will hold up pretty good... the weight of the ball itself isn't heavy, but it would be wien done (think about it... most gazing balls are just thin glass... they arent perfectly round either, they SIT in the bowl... you can always cheat a bit and put the ball of a dowel hidden in the holder if you were afraid of fly away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts