Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my quest for employment, one of the questions that came up was about my computer. I am assuming it's to make sure it's capable of handling the things they'll be asking me to do. My last call center at home work required it too. I was under the impression that what I have is good.

Can you tell me if it's likely to be up to snuff?

XP version 202 Service pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 processor
2.21 GH 1.50 RAM
C: Free Space 888GB (we have a terrabit in there)
Internet is 20 mg with a Doxis 3.0 router
we use IE8
and Norton Security (the internet provider provides it)

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
What you have looks okay. You might need more RAM for certain applications.

What you should do is ask them what they require you to have. Then you can compare, and do some window shopping to see what upgrades will cost.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Remember to keep receipts if you upgrade, as the upgrades should be tax deductible. Using your home as an office also allows for other deductions, which I hope you are taking advantage of.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
You might need more RAM because XP itself runs on a certain amount of it, so if you were to add in anything else that requires a large amount of RAM then your machine might lock up.

Other than that, you're fine for just about anything that doesn't require an intense amount of RAM, processor or hard drive space.

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Don't install more than 4GB of ram on your computer if you are running a 32 bit version of windows. XP only came in 32 bit on the CPU you have.

You will be wasting money if you go over 4GB on Windows XP or windows vista 32bit, windows 7 32 bit versions.

If you have 64bit then you can install more ram and the Windows Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit can address the memory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.