Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling totally conflicted and confused...

I *need* to work outside the house...but I want to work somewhere that has kind people, no foul language or lude jokes, modesty, etc.

It seems that there are no places like that out there anymore.

I wish I could just turn back the time to the late 1800's or early 1900's...I think I would fit in better there. I would SOOOOOO love to be a homemaker full time, but it just doesn't seem to be my lot in life. :(

I'm inbetween jobs...looking for work... Does anyone have any advice on jobs/places to look that would be a "wholesome" (old-fashioned term, but fits) work environment?

I so totally don't want to go back to an office job... I feel like crying...

·
Registered
922 Posts
The first places I think of that would be conservative and such are:
Hospitals
Churches, (a lot of them have paid secretaries)
Doctor or Dentist office
Vets office
If you carry yourself with dignity and respect, usually people will treat you the same. With all of the law suits now adays I think you may find that things are pretty mellow in a lot of places because people are afraid to say the wrong thing.

JMHO,
leezza

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just left a place where I heard more swearing than I've ever heard in my whole life...the "F" word seemed to be their word of choice... I heard it about 20 times in 15 min on one day...and that's not counting all the other "lovely" words. Very coarse! :( Along with that they were very rude, belittled your work, etc. (even though it was done with accuracy and in good time).

A couple jobs before that I was screamed at, sworn at, etc...left there...turned out there were some VERY bad apples there...government stepped in.

I have crappy luck with jobs. :( Would appreciate prayers...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I know what you mean about the work place not being a kind world. I am in a similar situation, I am looking for work and I have applied to a few jobs today (it put me in a really negative mood). I am tired of working! Each place where I have worked, co-workers act like they did in junior high, there are a lot of cliques and too many gossips and back stabbing. I am usually the "odd ball" because I won't stoop to these levels, I recently worked in a bank and in a tutoring center and in both jobs the customers would get angry and have an attitude if they were mad about something and at the bank customers were very immature and swore all the time, very nasty names right to your face (I even had a man threaten to drag me behind the back of his truck because his bank account had been frozen for owing someone money) and then I would go home and feel miserable that people could treat others this way.

I saw an advertisement in my area for certified home health aides. At least in my area they are offering 2 weeks training (without pay) and then you can work with the elderly in their homes. I might look into this, I think it would be hard work and probably not much money, but my hope is that it won't involve an unpleasant work environment that reminds me of being back in junior high.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Leezza,

Thanks for the input... I'll check around at churches and such... Good idea about a dentist office, too...surely that would be good because there are so many patients around all the time!

I carry myself with a smile on my face, modest clothing (no blouses that are low cut, etc.), no foul language... I've tried softly and gently asking other ladies to keep swearing down around me...2 jobs ago I asked one lady in my office (thinking that she was a "friend"). She spent the following months waiting until everyone else was out of earshot and then saying swear-words repeatedly...because she knew it bothered me. :surprise:

Why are people like that?

The first places I think of that would be conservative and such are:
Hospitals
Churches, (a lot of them have paid secretaries)
Doctor or Dentist office
Vets office
If you carry yourself with dignity and respect, usually people will treat you the same. With all of the law suits now adays I think you may find that things are pretty mellow in a lot of places because people are afraid to say the wrong thing.

JMHO,
leezza

·
Registered
708 Posts
My first suggestion would be any standard administrative secretary job. Companies, doctor's offices, government...EVERYONE needs them. Obtaining those skills (if you don't already have them) would put you in a good position to "shop around" if you had to until you found a work environment you liked. Other suggestions:
- library
- selling Avon, Tupperware, Mary Kay, etc.
- start a dayhome/babysitting
- janitor (don't knock it till you try it; I was one for two years and it was the least stressful, most enjoyable job I've ever had)
- maid service (cleaning people's homes; often you can work alone and at your own pace)
- I second the church idea - my mom was a church secretary for 12 years and it was a perfect fit for her.

HTH

·
Registered
616 Posts
I work in a hospital and I do not hear a lot of swearing. The nurses station is right within patient-care areas so people act professionally. We have clerks that work in the nurse's station doing filing, answering the phone etc.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I agree with the above posters. I have no other advice, but I will say a prayer for you. :hugz:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I work in a hospital and I do not hear a lot of swearing. The nurses station is right within patient-care areas so people act professionally. We have clerks that work in the nurse's station doing filing, answering the phone etc.
I have worked in many healthcare settings.There was no cussing.We looked and acted professionally.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might look for 1 girl offices. Usually very small companies.

I worked for a small company that sold sanitation supplies. They had 2 or 3 sales reps that worked out of the office selling products (usually hospital accts, etc), and I was the loan secretary in the office. Very quiet atmosphere.

My girlfriend currently works for a very small contractor - same type of setup.

How about a clerk at a motel? They usually work by themselves. Not sure how great the pay is, though.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
if you don't mind retail, you might try one of the religious bookstores. you also might try the library.
if you're thinking about the home health aid, it is a lot of hard work. the work varies depending on what hte client needs. some may need light housekeeping and medication reminders, others may need a lot of care. the pay isn't great, but it is a satisifying job if you really like helping people.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I would also suggest health care situations. You may have some upset patients (especially in billing!), but your co-workers are likely to be professional. Churches are also a good idea. Maybe some of the cultural non-profits? But don't expect big money there!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
You could look for a job in a school, like a classroom aide or working in the main office or something like that!!!

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to do something that helps others...the home health care sounds neat, but I'm wondering if there's much lifting involved? I have knee/back problems...can't do a lot of lifting at all...

I love the idea of working as a church secretary...our diocese isn't hiring right now, though. :( Guess I'll have to keep an eye on that!

Thanks for all the input ladies!! :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I would say preschool, babysitting, human resources (although that would be an office). I work retail (with a lot of women and men) in a large store and I have to say that the environment would probably be very suitable to you. I don't think I've heard any swears or any crudeness since I've been there (almost one year).

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
My suggestions are home health aid or something like a group home or working with the elderly or handicapped in a therapeutic setting, adult day care, children's day care etc. Many of these are run by religion based charities so have a stricter code of conduct, also, think non-profit agencies, special interest groups. Good luck, Kellie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts