Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Love this site. I really need help in so many areas with getting more frugal and living on a budget.

My questions today, what can I make for my husband to eat for lunch at work. He is on the road alot, his excuse has been that is always on the run and can't sit and eat lunch in his office. Any ideas of what I could offer him that will hold up in a car in texas heat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hmmm, I'll work on this. Meanwhile, get a little igloo-type cooler lunchbox or a small styrofoam cooler and some of those re-freezable packets that are not the boxy ones like blue ice. Dollar tree often has them out here. Most sandwiches and fruit will survive rather well in that kind of packing. Also quiche, if he likes it, as long as it is cooled. I grew up in Tucson, and moved up into the mountains for about 10 years but have been back down in NM for nearly 10 now. I deal with the heat all the time. Incidentally, if he doesn't know to ALWAYS carry a gallon of water if on the road in the desert, it truly can make the difference between life and death if the car breaks down. Just put one in the trunk, and check it every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I do the cooler thing with the ice packs too. I also premake my sandwiches for the week and freeze them. In the summer time they are completely thawed by lunch time. Salads hold up too in the cooler but I learned to keep the dressing in a seperate container or the lettuce gets nasty looking. Some leftovers do well also- baked/grilled chicken for example.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I pack a lunch for DH most days so that he wouldn't spend $6 to eat at the cafeteria. He works at an office so I guess thats a bit different but usually I pack either last night's leftovers, sandwich, PB&J or Ramen noodles. I add grapes, any kind of fruit, pretzels, cookies and a big thing of coffee. I know, sounds a lot like school lunch but so far he hasn't complained. :) He seems to be the only person at his office bringing his own lunch but I can't even imagine how much money we're saving this way!

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Trail mix. It's not exactly a meal, but it can be a nutritious snack during the day, and if it gets left in the car or in a drawer of his desk, it will still be ok to eat the next day. You can make your own with his favorite blend of cereal, nuts, and dried fruit. I used to carry a bag with me in college, it would survive in the backpack, and it was handy when my schedule got crazy and I didn't get regular meals.

My husband keeps a stash of canned tuna and pre-packed applesauce cups at work in case he gets hungry, or forgets his lunch. They keep at room temp and aren't too expensive as convenience food goes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know what it is like to pack a lunch to travel, especially when it is hot. I used to pack lunches for my DS#1 when he was a sailing instructor. Keeping them cold and safe to eat can be a challenge. I suggest investing in a good thermal lunch box. Also get some of the blue square blocks that you can freeze to add to the lunch box. What I found that traveled well, were cold cut sandwiches, or leftover sandwiches with a meat base. Also cold chicken, salads, only if you keep the dressing separate. When making the sandwiches do not put any type of mayo, or condiments on it. They will make the bread soggy, and they are the things that tend to go bad on a sandwich first. Grab so packages of these at a takeout rest. Also avoid any sandwich filling with a mayo base, generally the saald type sandwich, tuna, chicken, egg.
Leftovers are great if they can be warmed up properly. Since you said he is on the road, does he have access to a microwave. Keeping foods hot for lunch is more of challenge than keeping foods cold.
If your husband is on the road more than in the office, I would consider packing a bag of healthy snacks. A yogurt, some wholegrain crackers, nuts, a bagel, fruit or veggies. My DH keeps a stash of crackers, nuts, etc. in his car. It isnt as good as a whole lunch, but it will take the edge of hunger until he can eat a lunch.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
DH has a cooler with ice packs. He loves leftovers best of all, so 99% of time he has leftovers for lunch. He also loves fresh fruit so I always put at least two different fresh fruits in. In addition to the ice packs I freeze 2 water bottles that go in as additional ice-packs plus they thaw enough to have cold water. Sometimes he adds one of those flavoring packets to his water, if we find them on sale.

The remaining 1% would be a couple of sandwiches, or frozen burritos, ravioli, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pack my husbands lunches every day. I pack a "healthy" (think larger) sandwich (think of what going out would cost you!) and then things he can eat on the run. A pudding, two bags of crackers/chips etc., baby carrots, etc.... The frozen water seems to keep things cool. I try and make upscale sandwiches with a mayo dijon mixture or pesto mayo. I often add a few meats - turkey and salami for more flavor. Doesn't take a whole lot salami. Twice a week he gets pb and j to keep costs down. He seems to love them.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Dh likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and you can put several hotdogs in a thermos with boiling water, add hotdog buns and condiments. Hard boiled eggs are good, and graham crackers with peanut butter. Soup and stews in a thermos.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Since I can't cook enough for just three (more like thirty) I freeze leftovers and put them in my dh's thermos in the winter and put watermelon or any other kind of fruit in the summer. He is a big junk food eater so there's lots of cookies and stuff but I make sure he has something good for him for his main lunch. He works at a lumber mill so he has to eat usually on the run, He really likes leftover beef and gravy. I put in a piece of homemade bread and he has the makings of hot roast beef sandwiches in a thermos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts