Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oven went at my dads so we can't use that or the burners on top.

I have a flat griddle, a crock pot, a mircowave, and I have a skillet thing that plugs in (will not boil water though).

I need some meal ideas!! All the meals I had planned involved baking and boiling.

I have beef stew for crock pot, grilled cheese and soup, tacos, fijitas, breakfast food. Its gotta be easy if it involves the skillet because I only have 1.

TIA! Its gonna be a rough month or so =/

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The oven went at my dads so we can't use that or the burners on top.

I have a flat griddle, a crock pot, a mircowave, and I have a skillet thing that plugs in (will not boil water though).

I need some meal ideas!! All the meals I had planned involved baking and boiling.

I have beef stew for crock pot, grilled cheese and soup, tacos, fijitas, breakfast food. Its gotta be easy if it involves the skillet because I only have 1.

TIA! Its gonna be a rough month or so =/
You can boil water in the microwave.

You an also bake in the oven well sort of.
I have a recipe of single serving cake if you want one.

Omelets in a mug is also good.
Google microwave cooking and you could come up with toms of new things. It isn't just for warming up leftovers you know. I just found out how to cook pasta in the microwave just now by goggling "cooking pasta in the microwave"

The library might have a microwave cookbook

You will be able to do it. You might learn some new things too.

Reactions: AnW819

·
4,028 Posts
If your skillet gets hot enough to brown meats you can add sloppy joes and stir fries to your list. Cutting chicken into very small pieces will allow them to cook faster and will take less energy to do it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can start rice and pasta in the microwave, and let it boil for about a minute. then take it out and quickly wrap it in towels, blankets, etc to keep it warm. It will take about double the time to get done, but it won´t burn and you can use the microwave for other things in the meantime.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
yep, if the skillet gets hot enough, you can do any dish with that that you would do on the stove top. Like stir fry and quesadillas. (sp)

You could always throw your meat in the slow cooker separate and you could do many potato, veggie, rice, enchilladas and pasta dishes in the microwave. Tons of beans and soup dishes in the slow cooker. I think Google or the library for cookbooks would be a fun challenge. :)

·
19,119 Posts
You'll be a pro in no time. We did it for 6 weeks when DH and a friend were remodelling our kitchen. Bet you find out that you can actually live without things that you thought were indispensable. Good luck and tell us all about your experiences!!

Reactions: AnW819 and Libby

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Ashley, You can do this, after a week you'll be a pro. Every experience strengthens us :)

I once rented a shoe box of an apartment that only had a microwave for cooking. I didn't have internet to look up recipes, or cookbooks for microwave cooking recipes, but after a few disasters I got the hang of it. I know you will too. :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
go to the thrift store and pick up a 1 burner electric thingy.. they are usually a few bucks... and maybe a toaster oven. that is what we did when we didnt have an oven... they post in the freecycle and see if anyone is giving an oven away.. you might get lucky..we did

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.