Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling so sick today and yesterday. I got my period for the first time in 3 months yesterday and its just so painful. I feel like throwing up, and I am crying, and just am getting so angry at how painful it is. I am taking ibuprofen as much as I can. Drinking hot tea. Using a heating pad. I am not sure what else to do!! I have heard of herbal stuff to take, but I do not have any money now so I can't. I am going to make a doctors appointment sometime this month and take about how bad my cramps are when I get them. There has got to be something better they can give me. I am not saying I want some percocets, but something just to take for the 3 days a month.

I know the Lord will help me through this, but your prayers would be appreciated!!!

Hugs!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Before I had kids I, too, had really bad cramping during my periods. It's still sometimes quite unpleasant, but yours sounds really bad. I'll definately pray for you. Do you have any extra-strength Tylonel? I find that IB Profen never helps, but Tylonel does. Try falling asleep in fetal position. It may also help a bit. ((HUGS))

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was sleeping but then I got woken up in terrible pain. I actually have been taking ibprofin because thats the only thing that will help the back pain I get. Tylonal does not help either when I get my period. How is it that these pain meds will not work for something like this??

Thank you!!!

·
19,119 Posts
I don't know what to tell you - sending prayers, hugs and aloha your way.

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ibuprofen may have nasty side effects, don't take too many!

I'd suggest hot baths/hot water bottles/hot tea, and sleep as much as possible. Breathing exercises may also help (take deep calm breaths using your stomach muscles, like you would when having contractions/labour), focus on relaxing your tummy muscles whenever you have cramps. Moving (walk around the block) may also help.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ibuprofen belongs to a class of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Ibuprofen side effects:
The most common side effects from ibuprofen are rash, ringing in the ears, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation and heartburn. NSAIDs reduce the ability of blood to clot and therefore increase bleeding after an injury. Ibuprofen may cause ulceration of the stomach or intestine, and the ulcers may bleed. Sometimes, ulceration can occur without abdominal pain, and black, tarry stools, weakness, and dizziness upon standing (orthostatic hypotension) due to bleeding may be the only signs of an ulcer. NSAIDs reduce the flow of blood to the kidneys and impair function of the kidneys. The impairment is most likely to occur in patients who already have impaired function of the kidney or congestive heart failure, and use of NSAIDs in these patients should be cautious. People who are allergic to other NSAIDs, including aspirin, should not use ibuprofen. Individuals with asthma are more likely to experience allergic reactions to ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. Fluid retention (edema), blood clots, heart attacks, hypertension and heart failure have also been associated with the use of NSAIDs.

·
27,948 Posts
Glad you are going to the docs and hope they come up with a plan that works for you. :smted:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Have you tried taking birth control pills? They helped regulate my period and the bleeding is not nearly as bad or as long. You could probably get them free at the planned pregnancy center or the local health department.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
in order for the advil to cause worse bleeding you need to take it pretty regularly for a while before you get your period .
its highly unlikely taking it during your period will cause a level high enough to cause less clotting .

i take advil daily due to my fibro and really dont have any extra bleeding issues from that - i do from hormonal issues with peri menopause though ( i am 47 )

i have test my clotting factors about 1x a month with a machine we use for work for people on blood thinners ( like a glucometer for clotting level ) and they are all normal even with me taking 600- 800mg advil taken most days and more on bad days .

are you putting something in your stomach before you take the advil that can ause you to feel sick to your stomach if taken on an empty stomach . try some saltines and gingerale for nausea

to be honest tylenol is just as dangerous if not more so than advil with the effects it can have on your liver if you take more than you are supposed to . drs have become extremely strict with patienst on tylenol containing drugs like percocets warning them about taking them too often due to the tylenol in them.

the more upset you are the more you will feel your pain stress tenseness will intensify it - try relaxation exercises- deep breathing - diversional activities- watch TV listen to music- read a book.

i can pretty much tell you no MD i know of will give out percocet for cramps that i know of. motrin 600 or 800 tabs - maybe .

when my older dd suffered very badly from cramps ( an issue inherited it seems from dh's side as i never had bad cramp issues until after child # 5 ) they offered her a low does birth control pill which worked for the cramps bumped her boobs up a cup ( which she loved ) but sadly gave her migraines so she decided she would rather stop life and suffer thru cramps a few days a month then have a migraine almost every day .( still misses that cup size though LOL )

have you tried any reflexology points ?? i am a huge believer of reflexology !

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakity
Try orgasms. Every 12 hours, more if you can. I learned that trick from when I had a fibroid.

I seriously do not think I could even more right now to do that And DH is at work. But this seriously works???

Yeah, it cut down the cramps and the bleeding. It cut a 7 full day gushing period down to 4 or 5 days and the last day was really light with only a day or two being gushing. I was gushing rather than really having a period when I had the fibroid. And, you don't need your DH.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Been there, done that, kiddo. I had the "worse" cramps all my life. Started @ 12 yrs (I would roll on the bed & mom would give me a mixture of whiskey, honey, tea) & finally, finally, 1 month before my 54th b'day--they stopped. I went to the dr's many x's for it plus @ the age of 52 had an ultrasound done because of my heavy periods every 3 wks..all my life. Birth control pills & having children did not help my monthly pain.
This is what I can offer, told to me by my Dr....you have to be medicated before the period starts. I was to start Ibu 1 week before my period. Mark your calendar & if you feel it's going to start (I would have the worse headache) start taking a pain med. Good Luck & believe me when I say ~~ I don't miss it!!!
ps..I passed this on to my 3 dau's....

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I used to have horrible cramps and went the medication route (motrin/ibuprofen) until I got scared because of all of the side effects. I also tried a low dose birth control pill which gave me HORRIBLE migraine headaches.

Not sure if it will work for you ...but extra calcium/magnesium and Vit D works for me. I also had horrible cramps and I read in an old nutrition book...I believe by Adele Davis that calcium/magnesium and Vit D helps. Well, it works for me. I take the calcium capsules every night and will take a couple extra during my period if I think I need them. I also read on earthclinic.com that drinking a couple tablespoons of blackstrap molasses helps. I drink it in a cup of hot soymilk..it also worked for me. I discovered that blackstrap molasses is high in calcium.

I still have a couple cramps but a heating pad at my back nullifies them. I don't need medications anymore and I do not miss work due to cramps.Praise the LORD!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.