Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a sourdough starter and need some recipes using it. Anyone have any tried and true ones. I do have a breadmaker if you have any for that it would be great.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I make the bread from TWG once a week -- it's delicious! We also really like that recipe made into pizza crusts.

Sourdough bread (from TWG):
5 1/2 cups flour
2 cups starter
1 TBS salt
1 cup water

Dissolve the salt in the water. Add the starter and then the flour. Stir to mix and then knead into a ball.

Cover and let rise overnight at room temp.

In the morning, punch down dough and shape into 2 loaves.

Cover with damp towel and let rise about 4 hours.

Place a pan of water on the bottom rack of oven and preheat to 400F Bake bread for 35 minutes.
-----

I usually use all whole wheat flour, but the TWG recipe suggests using up to 2 cups whole wheat flour.

You can shape this into round "artisan" loaves or use your loaf pans. The pizza crusts take around 15-20 minutes to bake.

If I haven't had a chance to make bread, and I need to refresh my starter, I make pancakes:

Mix together:
1 cup flour
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a seperate bowl, mix:
1 beaten egg
1 1/4 cups sourdough starter (must be at room temp)
2 TBS cooking oil or melted butter

Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing just until blended. Cook as you normally would.

Remember to feed your starter with equal parts flour and water whenever you take some out, and your starter will be with you for many years to come!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Odillia
I Made some sourdough cinn. Rolls today. They are really good. Will have to give the TWG recipes a try next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts