Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter has a 2 story wire gerbils cage. Thing is great easy to clean BUT the problem is the cedar is kicked out of the cage ALL the time (her one is alittle trouble maker) and it gets all over the house from getting on clothes, shoes etc... plus around her gerbil cage (it sits on the floor since it's about 3 feet high) has a constant ring a few inches wide and about 1/4 inch thick of cedar. We vacumme it up ALL the time but does anyone maybe have an idea of what I can put under the cage or what i can "create" in order to stop this from happening?? or even something to catch it so I just have to empty that out daily and it stops it from getting all over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh and of course I'm trying to do this wihtout having to buy anything.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm assuming the cedar shavings are just on the bottom of the cage? What about wrapping a few inches of newspaper or cardboard around the bottom of the cage, essentially raising the sides of the cage so the shavings aren't kicked out?

FYI, apparently cedar is not recommended for gerbils, etc. because of respiratory problems. The article is here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=682

I never knew that when I had guinea pigs, but just wanted to let you know.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have the same problem and I have not found a good solution. I tried putting it inside a shallow cardboard box that was a few inches bigger in each side of the cage and they STILL kicked litter all over. I swear they shoot it 3 feet outside of the cage. lol We bought some new bedding, I think it is made from wood pulp fiber. When it does get out of the cage, it doesn't stick to things or make as big of a mess. It is called CareFresh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts