Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose to put it here cause it deals with parenting.Actualy difference in parenting.Ok my sil parents her son so different than I do my kids and you can definately tell.

Last night Lauren wanted to spend the night over there and my main concern was her asthma acting up.So I got her medicine went ahead and gave her her pills for the night and her inhaler.I also suggested that she not sleep on the floor,and take a bath before she goes to bed to wash out the pollen in her hair.Well she did sleep on the couch,but no bath and she didn't have breakfast just lunch at 1pm at Mcdonalds.Her hair was an awful mess.Is this normal?I think maybe I'm just nuts or something cause I would expect my sil to take care of Lauren while she's there,like feed her,run bath water for her to take a bath etc.My biggest problem was when I told her(sil) how to use her inhaler and her breathing machine she said "she can do it herself right?"Hello she's only 5 what happens if shes coughing so bad she can't set up the machine.This is the 2nd time she's stayed the night the first time she ate before she left here and then sil took them directly to mcdonalds,she didn't go to bed until 1am ,slept on the floor,no bath,and ate mcdonalds again for lunch.Am I wrong for not wanting her to go over there anymore?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I would have concerns that she does not heed your concerns about her asthma. Have you told her that it is a potentally life threatening disorder ???? When dd has friends over they tend to stay up very late and some junk food is on the menu...... She should understand the seriousness of Lauren's asthma.....

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Everybody parents differently and some of the things you mentioned I would overlook, but there are some biggies like with the breathing machine. I wouldn't let her go back over there either unless you can talk to your SIL, but I know I couldn't mine. She may think she's letting her have fun at her aunts house with the going to bed late and things, but a lt of what you mentioned is unexcusable. I wouldn't let her go back until she is older and is better able to take care of herself.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree- staying up late and eating junk food is part of the fun of sleepovers.

But when she comes out with comments insinuating that she should be able to take care of herself in an asthma attack is rediculous. Obviously she has zero concern for you dd's condition. For that reason, I wouldn't let her over there overnight. Have your SIL's son sleep over at your house instead so you get peace of mind.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
karlisangel said:
The asthma would definitely concern me...
That would be my concern too!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Um... I would wait a couple of years(?) before I would let her make a habit of staying at auntie's house. She's way too young to be able to equip herself with her machine and sometimes it's a scary thing for a kid to have an attack. Your sil doesn't seem the type to be comforting to a small child in distress when she doesn't have the neccesity to know these things for herself. I'd also be a little irked that she didn't feed the kids anything until 1 in the afternoon. You know what, I'd be annoyed at the whole thing, too. Especially because you needed things to be done and she did less than what she should have done for her own. At five years old she is not self aware enough to think of doing things for herself - like bathing and brushing her hair.

I'm with you on this one. I'm getting annoyed for you the more I'm thinking about it.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I would worry about the sil lack of concern for your dd's health...I think if an attack happened I don't think the sil would be any good.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The major problem is that your sil must take her asthma seriously. I know the rest is not what I would like or would do if I had my neices or nephews over to sleep, but it's less dangerous. But if she isn't concerned for her asthma, I wouldn't let her go there...and I can't believe it! She is 5, like you said! Good luck solving your problem.:heartsm:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I think that sil needs to grow up and realize the responsibility of children, especially when someone elses is at your house. I hate to say it but, I do not let my dd stay with my own sister for reasons similar to yours. I do not feel that her children are looked after and know that she would not be looking after mine either. Its tough on the kids because they want to stay over, but push for it to be at your house. Its more work for you but there is no way you could have peace of mind after this with Lauren over there.

pat

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i agree with the others in that i wouldn't let dd spend the night over there until she is older and is capible of handling her breathing machine during an asthma attack. i'd want her to have handled the breathing machine on her own for a while since it doesn't seem like your sil is interested in learning how to help your dd with it.
as far as the other stuff goes, i'd let some of it slide like going to mc donalds unless the fattening food cause your dd a medical issue like aggrevating her asthma. as for the bath, i don't usually give my kids a bath when we have cousins over, but if their mom asked me to because of pollen from playing outside or if i put bugspray on them i would. they don't need to be sleeping with pollen to aggrevate allergies or bugspray smearing on everything. and i don't think breakfast is too much to expect either. so no i don't think you are wrong for not wanting her to go over there anymore. you are just being a responsable mom and looking out for your daughter who isn't old enough to totally look out for herself.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You're in GA, right? Send her to my house. My Amy is 12 and would fawn all over her. Problem solved. Lauren has plans.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL Milissa!Where in GA are you?

My nephew does spend the night every wednesday since his mom doesn't get here till 9pm on wed and has to have him back here at 7am the next day.She jsut wanted to go over there.The Mcdonalds doesn't bother me that much,I let my children have it on occaision,but dnephew gets it 2 times a day every day(except when he is here)The breakfast thing totaly ticked me off as well as her not having any concern for her asthma.Thank you guys so much.I felt like a big heel and a complainer but i do know now she won't be going over there for a long time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
South Cherokee County. Now tell me you're down by Macon!! LOL!!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
My dd has had asthma all her life and I would not consider letting her spend the night with ANYONE at age 5 unless the adult knew how to use and administer the breathing machine and treatments. This is her life, and your sil should be thinking about that and not her own comfort.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm about 10 minutes on a slow day from sixes...
Offer still stands :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts