Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are wanting to make our own piggy bank for ds4--actually dh wants it to be a project they can both work on together--but we want to use recycled items and possibly some wood to make it fun and functional. Here is the concept I have in mind:

(spend, save, share)

http://www.moonjar.com/store/#2

OR

(spend, save, donate, invest)

https://shop.sixwise.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=69

We were thinking a wooden rack that we could put 3-4 jars (or small canisters w/ plastic lids). . . but I really would like something more nestable (if that makes sense or if I am using the right terminology). We think we will start him with the spend & save jars first and add others later. I know there has to be something creative that I am overlooking so I am making an appeal to my wise, creative FVers. TIA. :popcorn:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have thought about this post all day. I even walked around Hobby Lobby looking and noodled your question :laugh:
Just wanted you to know that your post wasn't being ignored.
Andrea

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like the 3 part one...save, spend and share. All categories are understandable at 4 years. Also, I like the way they fit together in the moonjar. All pieces of the whole. One thing to consider is it's nice if they can see it building up, much more tangible.

Later you could add on the investment part and move some saved money over when she's more likely to understand the reason for it.

Reactions: ri*smom

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andrea :crackup: My noodle is being tested with this too . . . I just know there is something that when I *see* it, I am going to think, "How did I not think of this!? It's so obvious!" My noodle isn't as spry as it used to be back in the day before doodlebugs. :toothy:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I love piggy banks and I loved them as a child. I have one that now counts my coins for me, so I know how much is in my coin jar at all times. I found this site that has several frugal craft ideas for kids (with parental help) to create piggy banks. You might find something here that uses materials you have at home already. Good Luck!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/topic/20891/piggy.html?cat=3

·
Registered
93 Posts
My ds and I made his piggy bank out of an empty salt container. Really easy. We covered the container with construction paper and he decorated it with markers. When it fills, we will take it to the bank and add it to his savings account.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What about using old Pringles cans? You could cover them with white shelf paper and then he could either paint them or color them. After he was done decorating, you could glue them together maybe with a hot glue gun. You could also vary the size of the holes in the plastic top so that different sized coins fit in each one. Then you could write "quarter" and maybe find a pic of a quarter in a mag and put it on the outside of the one that fits a quarter. and so on?

Reactions: ri*smom

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea! I liked the salt container, too, but the Pringles are nice and tall and will take up less space on his dresser. I'll get some Pringles next time we are at Aldi's. Thanks MoonMommy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts