Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some wheat tortilla wraps with the intention of taking wraps to campus for lunch instead of always have sandwiches or bagels. I can think of some stuff to put in the wraps but am coming up short with filling recipes.

What are some (meat-free) veggie or other filling combinations of ingredients you've made/have recipes for?

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
maybe julliened veggies (peppers, cuc's, carrots) in a wrap with a greek sour cream sauce? or a thousand island-y sauce?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
WRAP CLASSICO

This wrap is a burrito, filled with savory black beans, crunchy peppers, rice and Mexican seasonings. For a more authentic treat, replace the Monterey Jack cheese with a mild flavored Mexican or Spanish cheese, such as manchego.

1 15 1/2-ounce can black beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped and seeded red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped and seeded yellow bell pepper
3/4 cup cooked long-grain white rice, warm
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup picante sauce
1 tbsp. enchilada sauce
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
2 10- or 11-inch flour tortillas

1. Heat the beans in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the peppers, rice, cilantro, picante sauce, enchilada sauce and cumin; cook until warm, 2 to 3 minutes.

2. Divide the bean mixture between the tortillas and top with the cheese. Wrap by folding the sides towards the center, folding the bottom towards the center and continuing to roll. Makes 2 servings.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
American Wrap

The flavors of cream cheese, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs make an unforgettable spread for this simple and hearty wrap.

1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese
1 Tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
Fresh chopped herbs, such as basil, oregano, thyme
2 whole wheat tortilla wraps
1 cup (250 mL) alfalfa sprouts
1 cup (250 mL) white or green onion, sliced
4 soft-boiled eggs, sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, oil, vinegar and fresh herbs. Spread the mixture on each wrap, then add sprouts, onion and egg. Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy with a salad or celery and carrot sticks. Serves two.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
CALIFORNIA VEGGIE WRAPS

1/4 cup salsa verde
4 ounces (1 cup) LAND O LAKES® Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 ripe avocado, chopped
1 large (1 cup) tomato, seeded, chopped
2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Sour Cream
2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
6 (10-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed

Combine all ingredients except tortillas in large bowl. Spread each warmed tortilla with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture.

Fold two opposite edges of tortilla toward center over filling. Roll up open end of tortilla torward opposite edge. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Great recipes, Sunshine! I'm going to try a couple of those. I don't even buy bread anymore, I only buy tortillas, you can use them for anything. I use them for all my leftovers, sometimes I just put in a little bit of rice, cheese and salsa, or whatever I have on hand. Peanut butter and apple slices is really good, especially with a crispy Fuji apple! I also do scrambled eggs for breakfast. Hummus and veggies is good also.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I just found this recipe looking for another recipe. I'm almost positive you can buy vegetarian chili in the grocery store or you can use homemade vegetarian chili. And I'm sure you can substitute cooked rice for the Minute Rice and just stir the cooked rice in at the very last minute of heating time of chili. Looks quick and easy to me.

CHILI-RICE WRAPS

1 can (28 ounce) chili (with or without beans)
1/2 c water
1 c Minute Rice
6 flour tortillas
Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Tomatoes, chopped
Green onions, sliced

In a large saucepan bring chili and water to a boil. Stir in Minute Rice, cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Spoon chili mixture into tortillas. Top with cheese, tomatoes and onions as desired.
NOTE: Prepare sandwiches and wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap and then foil. Can then be frozen and reheated in microwave (after removing foil) or heat in oven (after removing all plastic/foil wrap)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Avacado, Jack cheese (if you eat dairy products :) ), carrots, sprouts, a spash of Italian dressing, lettuce, tomato and mayo.

Sliced cucumbers, olives, red onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese (or not :) ), Ranch dressing

Scrambled eggs w/onions, potatoes, cheese (or not) and salsa

Grilled portobellos, red peppers, arugala and balsamic vinegar

Grilled peppers, squash, carrot and eggplant with garlic pesto vinaigrette and feta cheese

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
DH and I have a theory that everything tastes even better when wrapped in a tortilla! So I'd say anything you like to eat can become a wrap.

·
27,948 Posts
Just found a really nice site with Wrap recipes & so much more. I love the way this site is laid out & can't wait to try some of these recipes.
http://www.familyoven.com/

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love tomato, avocado, good olives and alfalfa sprouts. We don't eat wheat so we use large lettuce leaves for our wraps. Very tasty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not at all gourmet, but my "go-to" quickie meal after getting home from class late at night is to roll either turkey or ham up in a wrap with swiss cheese and mustard and then popping it into the microwave for a minute. Really fast and really, really good. And frugal too!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I take them, put mayo and mustard. a lettuce leaf, and any kind of thin sliced meat and shredded cheese. Almost lookes like a pizza. Then I roll them up wrap in foil. Then cut in half. My kids and husband love them.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Tahini and olives.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks so much they all look so good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts