Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents will be married 50 years on January 1st. We're having their party on the 3rd.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. My brother is making a computerized slide show (rather than a photo album), but beyond that, I'm lost.

I want something unique and frugal (since I'm pretty much footing the entire bill)

We have reserved the church hall- so that is free (also means no alchohol :D )

What things would look good for decorations? Foods to serve? Should we have a traditional "wedding" style cake? or just sheet cakes?

HELP!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
For my parents' 25th, we had a smaller party at home. We tried to do the decorations in the colors of their wedding, including the cake.

For a 50th, it might be fun to try and recreate their cake, if you have a photo. IMO, a wedding cake (tiered) of any kind would be totally appropriate and fun.

Does your mom have her dress to display? Or are there any bridesmaid dresses still around?

You could ask everyone to write a letter (including memories of their wedding?) and compile these all in an album. Or, you can have a scrapbook there, and have people write memories the day of the party. My cousin had poloroid photos taken of wedding guests as they arrived at the reception and then we signed the book next to our photo-- that was fun.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head... I love planning parties!

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They never had a reception (or honeymoon) so no cake originally.

Our house burned when I was 7, along with her dress- I MAY still have the band from her veil.

No bridesmaid dresses either- only 2 people from the wedding party are still alive :(

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of polaroid pics of the guests. That would be great!

We'll try to get a memories book going- I like that idea as well, but past experiences with some of our family has been less than enthusastic when it comes to returning stuff like this (I did a recipe book for my niece when she got married)

·
5,738 Posts
Oh, Ok. So you can start from scratch and do any theme/colors that you want. Fun!

I have some party planning links here somewhere.... I'll be back when I find them.

·
5,738 Posts
Arrrgghh. I seem to have deleted the party links I had used for something a while back.

http://www.stumpsparty.com/
This is a catalog of party supplies that I use at work. They have a lot of themes, mostly I look at their stuff for ideas and then make my own from there.

I did a Yahoo search for "cheap wedding favors" and got a million hits. You can probably come up with something similar and get a lot of ideas for decorations or even favors (if you want to have any) that way. I remember when I was doing my own wedding there were so many crafty things to make as favors-- I figured those were a good place to start for this search.

Toss out some color or theme ideas and I'm sure us villagers can help you expand on them!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the wedding colors were blue ( she has a couple pictures that have survived the years)

Mom's favorite color is yellow.

I've thought of taking their wedding photo and a current photo and putting it on candy bar wrappers (that I make on my computer) for favors.

Themes? besides 50th Wedding Anniversary? Through the Years maybe?

·
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the wedding colors were blue ( she has a couple pictures that have survived the years)

Mom's favorite color is yellow.

I've thought of taking their wedding photo and a current photo and putting it on candy bar wrappers (that I make on my computer) for favors.

Themes? besides 50th Wedding Anniversary? Through the Years maybe?

·
5,738 Posts
Oh! And since they never had a cake originally, maybe this is the time to let them have their dream wedding cake.

Are they renewing their vows?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They aren't renewing their vows- they don't want any pomp at all (they'd just as soon not even have a party, but consented when I insisted)

Thanks Amy! You're great- I NEED ideas. I'm not very good at this sort of thing. These are a tremendous help.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We have friends that just celebrated their wedding anniversary and their kids had a wedding cake for them since they had originally eloped. Some other friends had a 50th anniversary and the family had bookmarks made celebrating the occasion! I still have and use that bookmark and think of the special couple each time I look at it. For food, they had a local lady cater it with cold cuts, rolls, cheese, fruit and a couple of salads along with a cake. For drinks you had a choice of coffee, tea, punch or ice water. It was a beautiful party and they did renew their vows.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I love the candy bar wrapper idea !!!!!!!!
Decorate the table with frames filled with good memories ........

All I can say is we attented the harvest party at your house and we had a wonderful time !!!!!! The kids talk about it all of the time, hot dogs taste like caviar when the company is good !!!!!
Do something that will allow you to spend time and enjoy the party too !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also like the candy wrapper idea. At my parents anniversary party, we had a display of photos from their wedding, then photos of them throughout the years, family pics, vacations, etc. We did decorations in the colors of their wedding and we also found newspaper articles from their wedding date--kind of a look back in history. We did a regular sheet cake, we kept it fairly simple which was nice and everyone had a good time.

Good luck and Congratulations to your parents

Gina

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My brother has made a slide show of all the pictures we can get our hands on- a few from their dating years, the wedding picture, pictures of the family as we grew up, and a current picture of my parents.

He put it to music and it will show continuously throughout the party.

I'm making veggie pizza, chips/dip,chex mix, punch, tea, coffee.

Sheet cakes are ordered (they didn't want a regular wedding style cake), flowers for the table and balloon bouquets for side tables are ordered. I have gold ribbon and clear mini lights for decorations.

Still need so inspiration on foods. . . . . the party is from 1:00 Pm to 4:00 pm on a Saturday afternoon. Not sure if people will expect to eat lunch or just have snack type things.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Carolyn- I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. I may let my sister do that, she's been looking for something to do.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Great ideas!! And beautiful shadow box Carolyn, so, so pretty!

I have been to a few anniversary parties and one wedding where they did this and thought this was a great idea. Enlarge a picture of your parents, guests sign the area around the picture in gold marker (the matting) and when party is over you could write the date and their names etc. on it. And then pop it in the frame and they have a picture plus everyones wishes and names around it.:smball:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Congratulations Sunshine on your parents' 50th wedding anniversary!:) That is something! I hope you all have a great time on th 3rd!:heartsm:

Carolyn! My goodness! That shadowbox is BEAUTIFUL! I want to make one!!! For me! :D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I love the shadow box Carolyn !
The candy bar idea is great !
I bought some gold wrapping paper at an after Christas sale.... Can you use it somehow for their "Golden Annivesary" ???
Maybe on the tables or something. if you can use it, it's yours.....
How about some tea candle in jars with blue or yellow ribbons ?... I have tons of jars and some tea candles...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lori- I got tons of gold candles at the after Christmas sales- we're using those on the tables with yellow and blue ribbons/flowers. The gold wrapping paper ideas would be cool for a couple of the tables (now why didn't I think of that?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts