Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4th grade at my son's school is doing a tour the US project and he got Idaho. He is supposed to make a poster about Idaho, bring in some visuals such as crops (easy- potatoes) He is also supposed to make a traditional recipe that the other students can sample... so what is a traditional Idaho recipe? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yeow, Jenmarie...this will be interesting to follow.

I was born and raised there but not sure we had any 'traditional recipe' for Idaho that I can remember. Since it is known for the potatoes I would suggest 'potatoe skins' as something easy to transport to school, and kids will like to eat. Or....little tougher to transport, unless some of it can be prepped at school......scalloped potatoes. (baked potatoes??) But 'traditional'...not sure about that.!?

If he wants to throw an interesting curve to the project....southern Idaho has a large Basque population and they have some of their own unique food. Maybe google something along this line and see what comes up.....I loved the Basque Festival in Boise, some dynamite food. The Basque came out of Spain....and might be interesting if he researches that along with the dish.

Good luck.....will be very interested to see what the other Idahoans come up with and what you find out.......GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
heavily mormon. interesting mormon pioneer and present history.

gorgeous state.

Reactions: JenMarie

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Boise, ID here.

It's not just about the potatoes! :) Idaho also grows a fair amount of sugar beets (huge sugar factory here) and has a pretty decent wine industry.

FrugalFanny is right...Basque food is poplular here and was just featured on the food channel. But, JR Simplot made the fast food french fry famous. Do a search for him and you will get a lot of info....

We also have some of the best all around outdoor adventure available anywhere. Skiing, rafting (Hell,'s Canyon...river of no return) hiking, boating, snowmobiling, hunting, fishing...you name it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. He has to focus on food and culture, so we will definitely look up Basque food.

·
Registered
948 Posts
like someone mentioned Idaho has a lot Mormons around my end of the state. Southeast Idaho that is, so I'd say a traditional idaho meal is mormon funeral potatoes.... Yum!!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I have to laugh at the mormon thing...I'm in Northern Idaho and I didn't think there were many here at all!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts