Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19mo old that is constantly staining his clothes. I would like something that I could spray on it immediately that will help offset the stain before I wash. Does anyone know a recipe of somethign I could make at home?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Laundry Stain Remover Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1/3 rubbing alcohol
* 1/3 hydrogen peroxide
* 1/6 Dawn dishwashing liquid
* 1/6 water

Directions:

Mix above ingredients in a spray bottle and squirt on laundry stains before washing.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Or maybe this one?

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup liquid laundry detergent
* 1/2 cup ammonia
* 1/2 cup vinegar

Directions:

Mix well and pour in a spray bottle for all kinds of laundry stains.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Sunshine did u try the hm one and do they work? I was wondering because i recently bought the stick spray and wash for $2.49 at superstore 122g. Its worth it for me, it always gets rid of the stains no matter what and can be left , says up to a week. I never could leave laundry that lond , every day we 2 loads at least.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The recipes that Sunshine has blogged really work. She gave them to me about a month ago and I have had no problems with my stained clothes.

Barbara

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made the second one and sprayed it on a few shirts. I will lyk how it works out. Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I just use regular hydrogen peroxide. It removes most things overnight. For grease stains, I use Ivory soap. Cheap, and it cuts grease on clothes great!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
thanks sunshine.!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you find zoat soap? I have fels naptha...do you think that would work if I rubbed on? I have some shirts I would really love to get clean that have already been through the wash.

·
Registered
933 Posts
ive never used fels naptha so i couldn't say, but if you already have it on hand it wouldn't hurt to try, right? i found my zoat at our little grocery store and sometimes at the dollar store. its cheaper at the grocery store tho. 69 cents for a huge bar when its a dollar at dollar general.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have heard from quite a few people alone that they will 'pre-treat' their stains with SUNLIGHT dish detergent with a tiny bit of water and massage into the stain with a used (cleaned of course) toothbrush. I have tried it a few times for food based stains however I have washed the clothes within 48 hours max.

miss thrifty - isnt the SPRAY N WASH STAIN STICK a godsend!? I find that works on EVERY kind of stain there is. (The liquid version Im not so fond of) There was a sale on them at Superstore and Canadian Tire recently and I bought 6! One for: kitchen, bathroom, garage, car, bf's house and laundry room. You just apply and wash when YOU are ready - I LOVE IT!! (it even works on blood stains - thats what sold me)

I dont like the Shout wipes (used to carry them in my purse) nor the Tide Stain stick (the two I have tried smelled worse then rancid milk left out in the sun to ripen for 3 days. Blech! Thank goodness that when I complained they sent me a box of reg Tide to apologize!) Im sticking with the tried and true Spray N Wash Stick - and to think I only tried it on a whim b/c it was the only thing left that I hadnt tried yet! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
for white clothes i have heard lemon juice (cause it bleaches) and baking soda, but i have never tried it i use the Shout gel with the shoe polish like brush.....its magic

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
How timely! I replaced my yellow printer ink and even though I've NEVER had a problem before, I noticed that after changing it tonight, my skirt had a nice yellow blob on it! How will I ever get this out? It is yellow INK after all.

G

·
Wow, next time I run out of Spray N Wash I'm going to try Sunshine's recipe. Personally, I *LOVE* Spray N Wash, but I'd rather use something cheaper.

For my 7 month old, I have been putting stained clothes in a special bucket - I use the Spray N Wash before I put them in, and then once a week I fill the bucket with hot water and Oxyclean and let it soak overnight before washing. It has gotten out everything except: Chef Boyardee, Carrots, Orange Squash.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Laundry Stain Remover Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1/3 rubbing alcohol
* 1/3 hydrogen peroxide
* 1/6 Dawn dishwashing liquid
* 1/6 water

Directions:

Mix above ingredients in a spray bottle and squirt on laundry stains before washing.
does it have to be dawn? will any dish liquid do?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've used that recipe with Joy and Ivory. The Dawn seems to work the best, but probably because it's better at cutting thru grease.

Also--you could try just rubbing some laundry det. into the stain and let it set for a few minutes. I add a bit of water to mine to make a paste, then scrub it in with a toothbrush. Wash as usual. So far, no problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Or maybe this one?

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup liquid laundry detergent
* 1/2 cup ammonia
* 1/2 cup vinegar

Directions:

Mix well and pour in a spray bottle for all kinds of laundry stains.
I just wanted to tell everyone that I made this and tried it out. I had a shrit that has had a terrible grease stain forever. I put this on and it worked. There is a tiny mark now but I didn't even let it sit. So just wanted to say this stuff rocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts