Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interviewing for a full-time term appointment as a Mathematics Instructor next week. This semester I have been an adjunct instructor for chemistry, which is my first teaching experience (I've TAed before and tutored before, but this is my first time being "the man").

I want to be prepared for the question, "What is your philosophy of education?" However, at this point I don't really know what this means.

Could anyone suggest some good website to do some reading so that I can make good use of my finite preparation time as I stay afloat with end of semester grading and work on the lectrure I'll be giving for the interview?

Thanks!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
It means, basically, what do you view as the function and purpose of education, as well as the role of teacher.

For example, my philosophy of education is that the teacher needs to be more of a facilitator and guide, as opposed to the sole owner of knowledge. Then I would go into my feeling on why we educate children, etc. I've asked this question to many, many prospective teachers in my district. It is an important question.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm a mostly retired teacher, but my philosophy is that I should be the guide on the side and not the sage on the stage.

I cannot "lay some learning" on a student; the student must find ways to absorb and internalize the knowledge. I am a fan of discovery learning, where I set up some guidelines for projects and then step aside as the students explore and learn. I'm there to help them, but I always encouraged them to keep on thinking ahead. When they run into problems, I'm there to advise and help.

I'm proud to say that my students have gone far over the decades, so I really feel this style of education works. My best to you!

·
19,119 Posts
Agree with all of the above, but coming from the perspective of a special education teacher, it is important to base all learning on the strengths of the students also. Good luck!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the posts! I've been reading about teaching portfolios and the like and think that I should be prepared with a philosophy of education from a policy perspective - for me, what I see the role of the community college as being, as well as a philosophy of teaching / learning.

I've been giving these two topics some thought, but will start writing something later tonight after polishing my presentation notes for the lecture I need to give as part of the interview. I figure that lecture is like the proverbial picture to anything I might write about philosophy.

I'm slowly, think molasses or better yet window glass, starting to relax about the interview.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just relax and take it easy. You will do GREAT!!!! Good luck. I agree with all of the above. Just be yourself and say what you truly feel about education. They want to know you and your thoughts not something canned or directly out of a book. Again, Good Luck!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All my stress and they didn't even ask. :lol:

·
19,119 Posts
That's always the way - except when it's not!!
Save it though as you will need it sometime in your career.

So how did the interview go?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it went pretty well. I referenced a UC Berkeley lecture series available through iTunesU as a reference for the course (and as an example for how the normal curve is relevant to students) and saw some impressed eyes. At least I think they were impressed.

They definitely had the opportunity to see my adaptability, as the computer projector equipment failed twice during my 20 minute presentation. During the first failure, one of the audience placed the call to Ed. Tech. and I referred to the printouts of the slides to keep going while the Ed. Tech. guy did his thing.

Then, at the 20 minute mark, I told them that it was about time, but due to the technical difficulties, I had a little more if they wanted me to keep going. It was right at this point that the equipment died again. The Dean said something along the lines of, "Well, it looks like that decision is made for us."

I sent out "Thank You" cards to the Dean, the search committee members and everyone else who attended my teaching presentation. By the time I wrote the cards (I needed to finish my grading responsibilities for the current semester first) it was after hours, so I asked Security for access to the faculty mailboxes to get those cards delivered promptly.

Back when I was a TA as a grad student, I had no concern about giving poor grades. Now, as the instructor, there were a few students who I wish had scored a few more points to get into the next letter grade category.

·
19,119 Posts
sounds as if it did go well - please keep us in the loop!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn't call yesterday. Four more days to go this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts