Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a thread for new car advice and since I'm looking for a great used car, I figured I'd start a thread on used cars. We have 2 vehicles.....a gas-guzzlin surburban and a camry. The camry is now being laid down to rest unfortunately. It's been thru an accident (while I've had it) and has not recovered since then. It was totaled (just from cosmetics) and because I thought the car would be fine after some repairs, I kept it. Well, hindsight is 20/20 and I wish we would've took the money and bought a different one. So.......now I'm on the search for a good used car, one that doesn't mind mileage since I travel a lot during the week. What used cars (even 10 years old is fine!) have you heard is dependable and w/o too many problems? We do not want a car loan......if we can't pay for it, we don't want it. Before I came to this forum, we would've just gotten a loan, so we are being much smarter now. Does anyone have suggestions on used cars??? Thanks!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Okay, again my vote is anything Saturn.

That said Toyota tends to be a good brand name that lasts for years... besides the Saturns! :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Suki! Our Camry had been very good to us, but I don't know that much about Saturns.........I guess you have one? Do you know how it does w/ high mileage or what can you tell me with your experience w/ one?

T

·
0 Posts
Nissans. I had a 10 year old Nissan Sentra I just let go, and I am sad to have done so (because I miss it, not because it was a bad decision for me at the time). As long as you maintain them, they last a long time. My mom drove hers (a Stanza) for 10 years and sold it to someone who kept it running about 7.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had my Saturn for 11 years. It would still be here if it hadn't been totaled in a wreck my daughter was in. We were very impressed with it's safety features as both my teen girls walked away from head on collision without a scratch, just sore and bruised. The only problem I had with it was an oil leak that is common in the older models. They've since fixed that problem and the newer models seem to be doing well. Mine had around 180,000 miles when it said goodbye. I'd recommend goint to saturnfans.com to learn more about specific models and any potential bugs. They also are full of great tips if you have repairs. My car only ever really needed regular maintenance and extra oil after about 120,000 miles. My mom has one that has served her well for 5 years so far and she loves it. She'll replace it with another Saturn. I've not replaced mine yet, but am looking at a Saturn Aura Greenline (hybrid electric) in the next year. Saturns hold their resale value quite well. At the age and mileage of mine, it was worth over $3,000 when they totaled it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I owned a Ford Tempo (bought used) that just wouldn't die and it got really good gas mileage. Mine was a stick, so I don't know if that had anything to do with its longevity or not. I gave the Tempo to my son & his wife after I bought my Intrepid which I currently own. We bought the Intrepid used and it is a great car. The mileage is right around 26mpg if you do mainly highway driving. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got to say I love my little 1990 Toyota Camry. I've been driving a Mustang or a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel for the last few years, and only lived a couple miles from work, so it wasn't a big deal, and gas was cheap. Now I drive 50 miles/day, and gas is almost $4, so it was time for a change. This little Camry's got 230K miles on it now still running strong, and pulls in 37-38mpg. It's ugly, but gets me wherever I need to go. You can't go wrong with a Honda either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts