Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My future DIL is living in a dorm on a VERY limited budget. She cannot have any cooking appliances in her room, but she does have a small refrigerator that she shares with her roommate. There is a microwave 2 floors down in the lounge she can use.

What can she eat?

I got her individual serving size fruit cups, peanut butter, bread, easy mac, ready to heat and serve soup, dry soups. . . . . . .

Any other frugal ideas?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Fruit, veggies and dip, peanut butter and graham crackers, popcorn and all sorts of snack foods. Yogurt , instant cereals and grits,and lunchmeats and cheeses for sandwiches. I wonder if they would object to her having a crock pot as they use very little energy and I've never heard of one catching on fire.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not allowed to have a crockpot, cofffee pot, hot pot, rice maker, microwave--- nothing!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Hmmm...

~ She can bake potatoes in the microwave. Put 2 on a plate, nuke them for 4 minutes. Turn them over and nuke them for another 4. Add a little butter and sour cream and she's good to go!
~ Tuna fish in cans is good, too. If she has a fridge, she can have mayo or mustard and bread.
~ hot chocolate is good, as well as chocolate syrup.
~Bacon can be nuked, as can hot dogs, though that's not very healthy.

I'll post anything else I think of. :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I like the potato idea!

I have topped baked potatoes with

* cheese
* sour cream
* chili
* tuna
* broccoli
* other cooked veggies
* butter!
* bacon bits
* combinations of the above

Sandwiches too.

Can she have a knife and cutting board? That could give her some interesting sandwich options. And then she could slice up a salad too.

How often do you see her? On weekends? Could you make her some reheatable meals and send them back with her for the week? If you sent them frozen, they'd keep.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you are creative you can use the iron as a hot plate and make grilled cheese, soup and anything that requires a little heating up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is she on the meal plan? I'd take full advantage there. Some schools are pretty strict about leaving the cafeteria with bananas, yogurt, etc. but others are more liberal. I also found that sticking with the meal plan meant I ate less. Forget the "freshman 15", I've now got the "married 15" once I could get out and eat essentially whatever I wanted, not what was given.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
My own dk's who had rules like that ate meals at the cafeteria most of the time but would also keep lunchables and those little tuna and cracker things in their fridges (lunchables are not frugal but they got sick of the caf. at times).

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she doesn't have enough money right now for the cafeteria- hence the need for foods she can eat in the room.

I only see her occasionally- as she workes every weekend, and most evenings. (she works 2 jobs and goes to school full time, she's trying soooo hard)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Aawww, well Denise I'd suggest that she keep some sandwich stuff in her room, peanut butter and jelly will do in a pinch and some ramen noodles to zap in the microwave on the other floor. I hope you and she can find some stuff that she can eat cheaply on. :hugz:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i always sent my son, popcorn, tuna,sandwich stuff, chips, pretzels, crackers and cheese, instant potaotes, a few eggs, you can make these in the micro, hotdogs, cookies,soup,canned chili,
good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts