Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I'm kinda sorta new to the forum, but not really since 2008 I was a leacher (spelling)... Here is some background my hubby & I were living in our state of Michigan. He was a carpenter while going to school & I am an RN.. He was laid off, from lack of work.. Which we knew was coming so that is when our frugal journey began. I was lucky enough to work, work, work & save save save. He finished school & got a job with the federal government- hence we moved to Washington DC. At first we were excited to start this new adventure, I was tired from all the overtime & he was tired watching me work all the overtime. So we sold our home & moved into a city apartment. Initially we thought it was great, we have good friends here & enjoy the climate. BUT- we miss home. We miss the family time, simple things & holidays.. We miss our simple lifestyle. People aren't frugal here, which was challenging from a social aspect, it wasn't til July did we get back to our frugal selves & be true to ourselves. Are we crazy to ditch a good job with job security to go back home & have me work until he finds something? We are getting tired here... We have been looking for jobs seriously since April.. A lot of the jobs require him to go back to MI for testing & law enforcement training. We are grateful for this job & it came at the right time, however, we are asking ourselves this: Do we stay here just for a job & sacrifice our lifestyle or do we move back home live super simple like before, sacrifice the job but have the lifestyle that we enjoy. This lifestyle is out in the country, near family, simple meals, have a garden, own a home, cider mill, farmers market, dairy farms.. Here in DC homes are super expensive & forget living in the country, his commute would be 1.5-2 hours each way for 40 miles out.. So we are limited to living in 600 sq ft apt or a townhouse- we aren't interested in any of that..plus at the end of the day our hearts just aren't here..

Thank you for the advice
Sarah

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a fellow Michiganian and have lived in Texas for the past 20 plus years. I love TX but it will never be home. We wanted to go back but the kids made friends, went to school and the time never seemed right. I live for the summers when we can "go home" for a few weeks. Do it while you can and I can almost guarantee you'll never regret it. My mom used to say the bird sings best close to it's own nest. MI is a special place and I miss it every day, especially the simple stuff. Take care-- Hannah

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you read your post, I think you'll have your answer! It's obvious you want to go back to Michigan and are willing to sacrifice to do it... Do you have someone you can contact to help you find a job? I'm an RN also (in Richmond Va) and jobs aren't as easy to get as they were a few years ago.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
If you can secure a job, I would say move back. Life is too short to be somewhere that doesn't make you happy. If you can be super frugal, living simply and within your means.....go back home. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Find a job and move. I moved to where I am currently am years ago. I like the area and people but hate the winters! I am stuck here now...tenure and children who I can't move out of state. If at all possible..do it hile you can.

·
Registered
545 Posts
if you decide to move, don't move until you have jobs lined up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with some of the others, you answered your own question in your post. You aren't happy where you are and you recognize the sacrifices necessary to go back to what is home for you. You won't be happy where you are, so go home. You're doing it with your eyes open, which is good and tells me you're likely to prosper even without the same income. Best of luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with everyone else. It sounds like in your heart you have already made the decision. Today even jobs in nursing are hard to find, as I have been looking for another one myself with little success. My recommendation is to plan it out for X number of months from now ( when your lease is up makes the most sense) and do everything you can to be completely ready when that day gets here. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Another michigander here. You know there is plenty of cheap housing here and nurses should be able to find work but... Dh has to have a place too. No one will be happy if theres no money.
That said we love our Michigan. I have turned down offers of New Zealand,England,Australia and many other states to stay.
To me there nothing like fall here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You ladies are fabulous! Thank you thank you! We are definitely being proactive so we can go home! At the end of the day we would take a sense of home & simple lifestyle over this "glamourous" job (which isn't so glamourous afterall).

Just wanted to ask FV for un- bias advice,since many friends here think we are crazy to pack up & go home.
Thank you again!!
Sarah

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry Russ!

Thank you Sir :)

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my goodness, thank you soo much for asking!

Yes Yes Yes. So my hubby is waiting to hear from Michigan's DNR to take the civil service test. The State started to work on sending out invitations to test on September 16th. So hopefully, any day he will get a test date!

And... then a former foreman contacted him & told him he could put him to work until a law enforcement opportunity opened up. But we have talked, we will wait til the right opportunity arises.

Mainly because, he was laid off before and I would like to help prevent that if at all possible & I think it is important for him to leave this job & feel good about the job he is going to at home. He would do carpentry in a heart beat, if I pressured him to go home and he loves those "good dudes" & misses working with them.

So, we are very excited. I did hear from a hospital back home & they want me to keep them posted :) yay!

In the meantime, we are saving money for our move home. Which is a good thing, moves are expensive! I am thinking the more we save, the better off we will be to "start over"

And I tell you, if you read my earlier post "My Husband is wonderful" I mentioned we bought a new vacuum. What a mental blessing that has been. With this new vacuum, it is helping with our living situation. Living in 660sq.ft apartment with us & a lab & two cats, felt like pet hair everywhere, even after my daily cleaning! But now, things really are a lot fresh, , less dust, no "animal" smell & just over all more pleasant for the meantime! Of course, we cannot wait to use this new vacuum in our new home in Michigan ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello-
I'm kinda sorta new to the forum, but not really since 2008 I was a leacher (spelling)... Here is some background my hubby & I were living in our state of Michigan. He was a carpenter while going to school & I am an RN.. He was laid off, from lack of work.. Which we knew was coming so that is when our frugal journey began. I was lucky enough to work, work, work & save save save. He finished school & got a job with the federal government- hence we moved to Washington DC. At first we were excited to start this new adventure, I was tired from all the overtime & he was tired watching me work all the overtime. So we sold our home & moved into a city apartment. Initially we thought it was great, we have good friends here & enjoy the climate. BUT- we miss home. We miss the family time, simple things & holidays.. We miss our simple lifestyle. People aren't frugal here, which was challenging from a social aspect, it wasn't til July did we get back to our frugal selves & be true to ourselves. Are we crazy to ditch a good job with job security to go back home & have me work until he finds something? We are getting tired here... We have been looking for jobs seriously since April.. A lot of the jobs require him to go back to MI for testing & law enforcement training. We are grateful for this job & it came at the right time, however, we are asking ourselves this: Do we stay here just for a job & sacrifice our lifestyle or do we move back home live super simple like before, sacrifice the job but have the lifestyle that we enjoy. This lifestyle is out in the country, near family, simple meals, have a garden, own a home, cider mill, farmers market, dairy farms.. Here in DC homes are super expensive & forget living in the country, his commute would be 1.5-2 hours each way for 40 miles out.. So we are limited to living in 600 sq ft apt or a townhouse- we aren't interested in any of that..plus at the end of the day our hearts just aren't here..

Thank you for the advice
Sarah
He finished school & got a job with the federal government- hence " ....we moved to Washington DC. At first we were excited to start this new adventure, I was tired from all the overtime & he was tired watching me work all the overtime. So we sold our home & moved into a city apartment. Initially we thought it was great, we have good friends here & enjoy the climate. BUT- we miss home. We miss the family time, simple things & holidays.. We miss our simple lifestyle. People aren't frugal here, which was challenging from a social aspect"

Not to change the subject but I thought it interesting you said poeple aren't frugal in DC. I think the rest of the country has that figured out too! :)

I do wish you the best of luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts