Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
4,028 Posts
What a fantastic find. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I really like the cash flow journal idea (under the "topics" menu).

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
LOL! Now I don't know about that list. I'm thinking that if it were my list I'd plug in that radio, that video game and coffee house gift card would end up being token gifts, and I'd pass on the ice cream. LOL! But then I'm looking at it from an adults perspective. Very fun!

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just tried the game. Not much of a budget teacher as every thing they put on your list that you must buy is really an impulse spend and a popularity contest spend. There is no choice to say "I don't want to go see the hottest movie ASAP"

The only way to get cash is $15 a week for your allowance and can work extra jobs on the side occasionally and that is the only way to "earn" cash. You get 30 days to "earn" and "save" enough for the big budget item you are forced to choose at the beginning: game system, tennis shoes, $30 movie????, and concert tickets.

There is no planning, no "I will allot this much to this activity" and like I said before, no "I really want the concert tickets so I will not go out for burgers this month". So not really a budget teacher. And it is definitely aimed at kids/teens.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tried the game. Not much of a budget teacher as every thing they put on your list that you must buy is really an impulse spend and a popularity contest spend. There is no choice to say "I don't want to go see the hottest movie ASAP"

The only way to get cash is $15 a week for your allowance and can work extra jobs on the side occasionally and that is the only way to "earn" cash. You get 30 days to "earn" and "save" enough for the big budget item you are forced to choose at the beginning: game system, tennis shoes, $30 movie????, and concert tickets.

There is no planning, no "I will allot this much to this activity" and like I said before, no "I really want the concert tickets so I will not go out for burgers this month". So not really a budget teacher. And it is definitely aimed at kids/teens.
Of course it is aimed at kids it is a kids site.
In the game you can earn money. Click on the floating dollar and it will give you an opportunity. garage sale, run a lemonade stand, car wash. You also got rewarded if you did a good buy like the matinee over night movie.

I think the purpose of the game was not really a budget teacher but a hard to save for what you want with just your allowance especially if you keep buying things sort of lesson.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL! Now I don't know about that list. I'm thinking that if it were my list I'd plug in that radio, that video game and coffee house gift card would end up being token gifts, and I'd pass on the ice cream. LOL! But then I'm looking at it from an adults perspective. Very fun!

Thanks for posting.
The lesson in the money section was better than the game like the spending journal ect.

The game was just fun from an adults perspective.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a fantastic find. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I really like the cash flow journal idea (under the "topics" menu).
I know I loved it too. Imagine learning that as a child/tween

here is the spending journal section for those that missed it
It's My Life . Money . Managing Money . Sample Spending Journal | PBS Kids GO!

It's My Life . Money . Managing Money . Track Your Cash Flow | PBS Kids GO!

Budgeting for kids and teens
It's My Life . Money . Managing Money . Sample Budget Sheet | PBS Kids GO!

It's My Life . Money . Managing Money . Create A Budget | PBS Kids GO!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The lesson in the money section was better than the game like the spending journal ect.

The game was just fun from an adults perspective.

Love all the other budget learning pages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.