Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can someone explain to me why so many foods are becoming contaminated with salmonella? Seems everyday there is a new one - if not human food, then it's dog food. Who would dream of Nestle's Quick being contaminated? So why?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone explain to me why so many foods are becoming contaminated with salmonella? ?
Isn't that just the truth?? I was thinking exactly that when I read this........no help, SB, but I sure have wondered the same.

There have been soooooo many recalls that I haven't posted, and the dog food thing is becoming just plain crazy. Just ordered some treats for my kids and tried to buy 'made in USA'...........now I see one by the same company is recalled....though not the one I purchased....WTH???

I think, right now, a LOT of it still has to do with that huge peanut butter recall......they are still finding things and recalling them. About three of the dog
recalls were PB stuff.............I stayed away from that flavor when I ordered.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have you tried making your dog food treats, FF? It really isn't very difficult. Or rather, it can be as difficult as you want to make it. :)

I always have either boiled chicken or roasted turkey in the fridge so I just get some out and tell him it's a "cookie." Of course, you can bake certain treats - sort of like baking cookies. When I first started, I used the little bone cookie cutters - lots of work. Wised up and just started putting tiny dabs of dough on the sheet. He doesn't know the difference in round, square or bone shaped. Also, since I started supplementing with the kangaroo kibble, I get some of that out and make him do his "tricks" - sit, down, stay - and then use the kibble as a treat. He goes just as wild for that stuff as he does for store-bought treats. Really, I think it's more my tone than anything. If I just say "here's a cookie" in a plain, flat voice, he'll eat it, but... Now if I say "here's a cookie!!!" in a high pitched, excited voice, he goes bonkers. I wish I was that easy. :lol3:

Anyway, as far as the recalls go, I'm just not going to take a chance with him. Dogs are like little babies. They can become critically ill in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried making your dog food treats, FF?
No, I haven't. I have been feeding them Charlee Bear........and the Alpo "squares" (c/n recall what they are called) for years. One reason is that both of these are much smaller size (and I can even break the Alpo ones in half).........and they get treats every time they go in their kennel (unless for 'time out')......which can be 3 times per day, if I run errands.
Just haven't messed with it........or taken the time to do it......but I might change my mind. One thing on a recall list was the Charlee Bear....:thud: Though not the one I was using..........but it gave me pause!!
And.........I have one little 'porker' that you don't DARE change any food.........and that includes the treats..........BTDT!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Another thing you might try for treats...green beans and carrots. Most dogs like both of these. Lots of people in agility class used green beans. My dog gets green beans in his dinner every night and he'll eat cooked and mashed carrots but won't touch them raw. Wish he would since they're good for cleaning teeth, too.

I guess I've been lucky in spite of all his food allergies and sensitivities. With rare exceptions, he'll eat most anything I give him. Back in the summer he got tiny bits of watermelon (not much d/t sugar content). Sometimes I freeze tiny drops of Greek yogurt and he thinks it's a wonderful treat - especially if I mix in a tad of peanut butter. My "go to" for treats is Zukes. So far, no recalls I'm aware of and since they are so tiny and he only gets 4-5/day unless we're training, no weight issues.

Take a look at this ff. You just might change your mind. Even I was shocked. :(

Recent Dog Food and Product Recalls

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With rare exceptions, he'll eat most anything I give him.
Thanks for the link SB...........will check it out for sure..........I have a stock pile now but I do try to keep up on all the stupid recalls!!

Oh.........no problems with what 'my kids' WILL EAT...........they will eat most anything...........it is the puking later that I have a little problem with.......

I am taking a chance even when I give them a BONE (summer only----and OUTSIDE!)...........and yes, they are so spoiled that I buy bones for them (marrow bones) and bake them!!!

Funny that you mentioned carrots..........the one that is totally life motivated by food.........will NOT eat carrots!!! Especially raw........and cooked....well, only if she thinks there isn't anything BETTER coming!!!!! And she will let them sit there to make sure!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at this ff. You just might change your mind. Even I was shocked. :(

Recent Dog Food and Product Recalls
Did you see the list about the RADIOACTIVE BOWLS????????????????? WTH.........wonder if these were made in China???

Damn.........what IS going on with the food chain????????????? ALL OF IT.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts