Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Acer netbook. I love the thing, except for the fact that I can't print or run any cd's on it. I know I can get an external disk drive (right, that's what it's called??) but i can't figure out if i could possibly find a small printer that uses a usb plug? Are there such things? Can anyone help me find good deals on somehting that might work online?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You Acer probably has Wi-Fi - get a printer that is wireless - you can also get an adapter for printers that are not wireless, or so I understand. I needed a new printer so got a wireless one.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thanks, I've wondered the same thing and use my netbook 90% of the time and my printer is not wireless.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree with going with a wireless printer. My netbook is on our home network and I just run any printing through my "boss" computer. I've seen some small printers too (Sam's I think it was) but I know nothing about their quality.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wireless ones look great, but I was wondering if anyone has seen something small and portable (easy to travel with). I think I might get a wireless one to replace my geriatric house printer now that I have been looking at those.

·
Registered
669 Posts
and might I just add that I love my Acer netbook. It is just so wonderful to have something that small and light - I take it on trips now instead of the laptop. I bought mine as a refurb from tigerdirect.com, not a minute's worry with it, works perfectly.

I know there are portable printers, don't know anything about them, but I am sure they connect up with a USB.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I had DF set mine up to my wireless printer....I don't usually have to print and when I do, its on my big desktop (which he has now replaced with a tiny lil thing smaller then my netbook! I have a desk again! :cheergrl: )

I tried googling 'portable printers for netbook' and this is what I got:

Two Affordable Portable Printers For Laptops

Tiny portable printers for travelers - CNET reviews

They don't really seem worth it unless you really 'need' to print while out on the road traveling. ($130-$150 approx plus cost of special paper) IF you're staying in a hotel they usually have a 'business centre' that you can hook your netbook to their printer and print that way or by going to a copy store or Staples.

Would be easier if you traveled with a USB flash drive/stick and for things you need to print, transfer it to that then head to the business centre or Staples or a public library that offers computers for public use? You'd only pay pennies/page printed.

HTH

·
Registered
669 Posts
Those flashdrives are so handy and they've gotten really cheap. I agree with the recommendation - business centers in hotels, Kinkos and similar services, even libraries are great resources when traveling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts