Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a career change to the financial sector (from analytical chemistry in the pharmaceutical industry). I'll be laid off by September. I met a CPA at a local real estate investor group picnic last summer and exchanged a couple emails about the accounting profession.

I would like to email her asking if she would have any interest in me being an intern when I am unemployed. Ideally, I'd like this to lead to employment during the 2011 busy season (Jan - Apr).

Could I please get some suggestions on how to word the email to this luke warm contact?

Thanks!

Reactions: Liane

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Whatever you do, do not start the email with, "Hey you sexy thang!"

That does NOT work! Trust me!!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Greebo- My DH's favorite is-"Hey Tool (double meaning intended) come over and fix the network. I touched that button thingy again and it just flashes at me".

On Subject- I would call and ask her advice on best how to get into the industry. I would run the intern idea by her. Then if she likes the idea I would shift it to asking her.
Also i would call a temp place like Kelly as reverse ask. Like what are the requirements employers are seeking. H/R block used to train people. The thing I have to reluctantly say is-a lot of acct. dept. are sourced out offshore.
My S.I.L is a temp for an acct. service for over 2 years now. She can't find a steady job at 1 place. She has now achieved permanent temp. (talk about an oxy-moronic name). She does taxes on the side every year too.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Ah darn I was hoping this was a computer question.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree that I would call instead of email. They may not use interns, if you call at least you don't waste too much time finding out. Also check out the accounting situation in your area. Are there companies that you have your eye on? Talk to the owners and get their input. Doesn't cost you a thing and you can get valuable information and contacts this way. Do you really want to get into accounting? There are many options open to you. Check out the library. They usually have lists of federal jobs that are looking for people. Now I don't know if my library is the only one that does this, but check it out. How about the local community college. They place people in internships. The accounting profesor has open hours where you can ask questions. Even if you are not a student I think that they would meet with you because you have an interest in the field. In Jersey there are some opportunities in this field that I know of word of mouth. Do you have any friends in the field? How about your wife? Put feelers out. Good luck to you. I was in QA for years and am very happy with my career switch. Hope you will be too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts