Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after the episode with my dog running off with a girlfriend:smooch: , he has an appt. with the vet for neutering on the 23rd. After that, will he be safe to trust again? Or will he always have that "urge"? Now I know why I've always had female dogs!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
My big boy, Hunter was neutered December 14 and he still runs off. He has escaped twice in the past week alone. There are two female dogs next door and he digs a hole and goes into their yard to hang out with them. When he is not digging a hole he is standing on the deck looking over the fence at them. I think Hunter is an exception to the rule, because the vet told me having him neutered would curb his need to roam....ummm NOT!

See photo of him being a peeping tom at www.myspace.com/markmartinrocks

I hope you have better luck than we did!!!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
It should calm him down a bit but since he's already had the urge he might still have the urge but atleast he wont be making any babies, lol I know both my dogs were neutered and neiher seem to have the urge at all, although they do love the female dogs around the neighborhood, but our yard is so un-escapable (unless the gate is left open) that I dont forsee them meeting up with their lady friends :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Both of my boys are neutered and they still run off every chance they get :shrug2:

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh MY! I'll just have to keep an eye on him. We are moving, and the new yard is all fenced in, so I'll only have to worry for about 2 weeks.

On another note, as I was leaving for work this morning, his "girlfriend" was coming over to visit!!!!! I think that is why he ran off, because normally he never leaves the fence line!!!! Even if we call him over it!!!! I think that she enticed him!:fuming:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My preference has always been male dogs. My last big dogs would get out and roam on occasion but quit after awhile. The tendency goes away as they get older usually.

·
Registered
301 Posts
He'll be MUCH better. Those hormones make them want to wander.

When I treated dogs (I have had a cat hospital for 16 years) the ONLY dogs I ever saw hit by car were UNNEUTERED MALES. They would be so driven to wander, and so distracted by the girl dogs, that they weren't watching out for cars.

It's much healthier for them, too. A neutered male will virtually never develop perianal adenocarcinoma, a viscious cancer. And little or no risk of prostatic disease.

Unless you have a REALLY good reason to breed a male dog deliberately, it should ALWAYS be neutered!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gayle! I forgot that you were a vet! I feel much better now!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is 3 years old, he was crate trained after we got him at the pound at 3 months, but he is too big for that now. The crate would take up too much space, he is a 70 pound boxer/german shepard mix. He has been being very good. We are moving in two weeks, and that yard is totally fenced, so he should be okay! Thanks for the idea though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts