1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for the information. I did not know this.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I had no idea, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
They cross their legs crisscross style, Indian style modified yoga style what ever you want to call it.

At least that is what our European friends do with their children (re -facing for a long time) and my daughter who was just over 20 pounds at two.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Paige went front facing at about 10.5/11 months, she was so cramped in her seat the Pediatricain told us we could go on and switch her. I can't imagine keeping my legs crossed or pulled up. Especially on our 6 hour drives to the beach, & 3 hour drives to the inlaws. That's insane and a bit uncomfortable.

So am I correct that its just "guidelines" & "recommended" or is it a law now. Might run that by my pediatrician at today's visit when she gets to that part "do you have any questions for me?"

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just a guideline. I know a lot of mom's who put their tots rear facing with their legs criss cross and as far as i know all their kids are as comfortable as can be. Lily still has a little room for her legs to stick out though so I can't say for certain.

I don't know if you've talked to your pediatrician yet, but this is one area where I personally would not count on the pediatrician as the only source of information. Your pediatrician may be awesome and up to speed with all the car seat stuff, but I've heard a lot of people say their pediatrician said it was okay to turn their kid around before one year, if they bring up the car seat issue at all.

You might talk to a car seat tech about it. These people are obsessive about car seat safety.

http://www.seatcheck.org/

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I don't know if you've talked to your pediatrician yet, but this is one area where I personally would not count on the pediatrician as the only source of information. Your pediatrician may be awesome and up to speed with all the car seat stuff, but I've heard a lot of people say their pediatrician said it was okay to turn their kid around before one year, if they bring up the car seat issue at all.

http://www.seatcheck.org/
I would also confirm that what your pediatrician is telling you is in accordance with local car seat laws as well.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
This is good to know. DH has alot of friends that have young ones and I don't think they are aware of it. I will definitely be passing along the information. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts