Frugal Village Forums banner

New dishes that you tried and thought you never would.

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Jmarie 
#1 ·
I have heard of Shrimp and Grits for a long while, but thought the combination sounded disgusting. Well, I saw the dish on a lunch menu at a local Lousiana style restaurant. I thought I would go ahead and try it since it was at a lunch price as opposed to a dinner price. That way, if it was grose I would not feel that I had wasted too much money.

I have discovered a new best friend in the world of food. Shrimp and Grits, it was gloriously delicious!

What kind of food have you tried that you said you never would and how did you like it?

Reactions: Josephhgoins
#2 ·
Asparagus! It was always something that looked disturbing, therefore I would not eat it. Well my mother-in-law made it one night and hubby was telling her that I was too picky and would never eat it. Me, being me, had to prove him wrong.

DELICIOUS! LOVE IT! Now I roast it with onions, garlics, salt, pepper and olive oil...drool.

#3 ·
I agree on the asparagus... I had only ever tried it out of a can as a kid, being as it's not grown as far south as I live.

It's awful canned, but I went out on a limb when I found it on sale one spring and WOW do I love me some asparagus now.

OH and spinach... never had that growing up but ate it somewhere creamed and love it.

#4 ·
Yeah, asparagus canned (not so good), fresh - DELICIOUS!

#5 ·
Calimari...long ago...hubby told me it was onion rings..it was good...tried since and nope, no go

Spinach...can't stand the smell of canned or frozen but fresh...love it.

Chicken stir fry...friend made it one day for supper...thought oh crap. Took a small taste and have eaten/made it ever since.

Reactions: Jmarie
#10 ·
Calimari...long ago...hubby told me it was onion rings..it was good...tried since and nope, no go
Calamari is my FAVORITE fried food along with toasted Ravioli!!!.. I can eat all day any day of the week.. :)

But to answer the question.. I didnt think I would like duck confit. We would always have roasted duck over the holidays and I would never touch that crap.. but tried it last week with a coworker and end up eating his meal..lol.. I would have never thought I would have liked it whatso ever.. I guess because my grandparents would kill the duck in the backyard we would see it run around afterwards..

#6 ·
summer squash. My mom fried it growing up and I absolutely HATED it. It was slimey and oily.

I steam it now and dress with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and love it. It's also great in pies.

Growing up I hated strong tasting cheese like chedder but now I love it.

#7 ·
Calamari - but still very picky about it. IT MUST BE COOKED PROPERLY for it to be any good. Cook it too long and its like trying to chew fishy rubber bands - blech!

Reactions: Josephhgoins
#8 ·
chicken enchilladas, I grew up in new england in a very meats & potatoes, bland casserole type of family . One day I had some left over chicken & googled what to do with it looking for something different. I found a recipe for easy enchilladas and thought what the heck - I bet the kids would like this, I could always eat a pb & jelly sandwich. I really liked it & the kids loved them - they fight over the leftovers! DH was shocked that I went out of my comfort zone to make these:thumb:

#9 ·
I'm pretty good about eating things but not always about cooking them. I liked calamari as an appetizer, but had never cooked it, and don't really deep fry anything. But then I tried a squid and potato stew - not a recipe I would have normally tried, but it was really great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.