Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July I bought 5 chickens 2 buffs 2 new Hampshire reds and one Americans bantam the bantam laid the 1st eggs, then one of the buffs one day while reading our local free shoppers guide I saw the add for pullets for sale it was the same man I bought my first 5 from since I wanted to get a few more bantams I called went out to his place last Wed and bout 3 more bantams and 2 Plymouth barred rock (they are zebra striped) now with a total of 10 hens I am hoping to get more eggs all 5 of the new ones are laying I still have 3 from my first set not laying yet, I found myself the other day sitting and watching them for over 2 hours they are just so much fun to watch. this has been my newest homesteading lesson I live in town but luckly can have chickens up to 15 I have a big pen for them and let them out 2-3 times a day to wonder the back yard. next year I will be planting my garden so have been working out where that will be and how I want to try and grow some popcorn. (fun for the kids) I have also been thinking about trying to learn how to can. I have decided that since I can't move out to the country for a few years I am going to bring the country to my city home I am taking everything one thing at a time since i have some serious health issues that sometimes prevent me from doing all that I want I am learning to do what I can when I can I am planning on making up some home made dough to freeze for bread and rolls and also some pizza dough for night that it easier to order pizza I will have the stuff already made. I am also going to get some pumpkins at the end of the month and freeze puree again for pies muffins ect.
so those are my goals for this month.. i will post and tell how they are going.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
yummy pump pies. Congrats on your new members of your family in the homesteading. any pics would love to see them?

·
2,688 Posts
Yes, pictures would be a good thing :)
Homemade dough sounds good. I did up quite a few pumpkins last year for the freezer. Makes good pumpkin bread :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay got the hint about the pictures I will see what I can do, I got one egg so far today I am hoping to get some more today, I will take pics this weekend that is if the girls will let me get the pictures, Going to be ranginess the kitchen to make cooking and baking easier. will let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well spent time chasing chickens around trying to get pictures of them will down load them on Monday and post them. DH and I got them a heating lamp for their coop yesterday, and I am still only getting 2 eggs a day thinking about putting a light bulb in there with a timer to go on at 4:00am to make them think there is more daylight not sure what to do about it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright everyone here are the pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts