Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love calculating savings. I thought this would be a great forum for people to see how much their choices actually cost. We can collectively share our own cost savings we've encountered to help others. Of course prices will vary, but will still be helpful.

For example: $6.50 for a can of Folgers and $1.40 for a medium cup of regular coffee at the drive thru. Can of Folgers makes approximately 240-6 oz cups of coffee (give or take a few depending on coffee strength).

Let's double the size of Folgers to make it closer to the drive thru size. We'll say 120 12 oz cups. Again give or take a few.

Drive thru $1.40x120= $168
Folgers= $6.50 plus water and electricity and cream and sugar if used.

And that's not calculating Folgers on sale.

These are current prices at our local coffee franchise in town and my current can of Folgers.

Basically, this is how we'll use this forum. To calculate costs and offer alternatives.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks Sara,

it will be interesting to see how others will utilize this thread.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're always talking about needing to get spouses on board by showing them the numbers, so let's show some numbers. LOL

It can be as simple as calculating getting your haircut every 8 weeks instead of 6, as another example.

We can show the cost breakdown of prepackaged foods vs. homemade, canned goods vs. fresh, choosing different brands, bulk sizes, etc.

The breakdown of a bag of flour, sugar, container of laundry soap, the savings from cutting premium cable, switching insurance, recipes/meals, etc.

Think of it as another bragging area of sorts. Or a detailed and collaborative price book. It can really show others how a combination of decisions really saves an amount. People all learn differently. Some will make new choices when they see the numbers.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Neat-o :funnyface: <-------------because I've never used that one before :D

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Drive thru $1.40x120= $168
Folgers= $6.50 plus water and electricity and cream and sugar if used.

And that's not calculating Folgers on sale.
:fainter:

Well now that really puts things into perspective, doesn't it? :lol:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We're always talking about needing to get spouses on board by showing them the numbers, so let's show some numbers. LOL

It can be as simple as calculating getting your haircut every 8 weeks instead of 6, as another example.

We can show the cost breakdown of prepackaged foods vs. homemade, canned goods vs. fresh, choosing different brands, etc.

The breakdown of a bag of flour, sugar, container of laundry soap, the savings from cutting premium cable, switching insurance, etc.

You are so right. Sometimes spouses just need to see it in black and white.....and not just once!

Using my best Jerry McGuire/Tom Cruise voice: SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Ok, now I will.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
this is FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see what the break down is on alot of our things. I think I might try to breakdown the cost of DIY vs boxed mac and chz vs premade heat it up mac and chz.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I am excited about this forum. I always loved reading in the TWG about the breakdown she did, but I am not a math wiz so I never really tried to do it on my own.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sweet! This is great to help me stay focused as well. Nothing like the numbers staring me in the face to motivate me to make the bagels I've been putting off the last couple days...

Homemade Bagels - qty 12, price per batch $0.50, per each $0.04 (flour and yeast bought in bulk)

Store bought - qty 6, on sale $1.50, per each $0.25

For a $1.50 I have:
Store bought - 6
Homemade - 37, not including electricity

·
Registered
182 Posts
neat forum

i used to like reading amy's breakdowns in the twg, too

i actually have some written down in my dining on a dime cookbook

i'll have to look them up

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet! This is great to help me stay focused as well. Nothing like the numbers staring me in the face to motivate me to make the bagels I've been putting off the last couple days...

Homemade Bagels - qty 12, price per batch $0.50, per each $0.04 (flour and yeast bought in bulk)

Store bought - qty 6, on sale $1.50, per each $0.25

For a $1.50 I have:
Store bought - 6
Homemade - 37, not including electricity
recipe? :D

·
4,028 Posts
Excellent idea. I know I've had to breakdown the cost of things to reinforce my frugal ideas to 'you know who'.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Great idea on this forum! I am excited to see what people post here and hope to get some calculations of my own posted too!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks Sara,
I love doing those calculations also. Its kind of
like the YMOYL cost vs. energy calc.
:cthumbup:

·
2,688 Posts
I really like to do math, show me the numbers, and make lists, and track things.
Good idea for a forum :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bagels…
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
3 tablespoons poppy seeds

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
3. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts