Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to put the goal of de-cluttering the house thoroughly and finishing the decorating of my studio at the top of the list. I've no real enthusiasm for any of my other goals this year. I doubt we'll be selling the house. I know I won't be marketing my book. DH is no longer behind me on it, and frankly, after the conference this spring, I have no appetite for it. A lot has happened with Mom dying and Dad re-marrying. So de-cluttering and setting up my studio take top billing for the rest of the year.

So things to work on...
~ sell Mom's stuff or donate to charity, to empty out basement.
~ empty out sewing unit in living room and move stuff down to studio.
~ buy a chest of drawers for studio to house fabric.
~ give Mom's Christian book collection to the church (if they want it), to clean out space in retreat room bookcases...so I can move some books from the studio bookcase into there. Want all my writing reference material in one room.
~ go through Mom's bird books to see what I can pass off to DBRO#1 who claims he wants her bird books...even though he doesn't birdwatch.
~ buy wicker baskets to store sewing stuff on shelves.
~ hang shelves after paint dries.
~ buy brackets to hang shelving.
~ mount pegboard above sewing desk, after the paint dries!
~ mount bulletin board, after the paint dries!
~ buy felt and insulation board to make a design wall, and make the design wall.
~ move homeschooling books to basement, and homekeeping books. They are in the hallway now. My goal is to get the bookcases out of the hallway and into the living room.
~ means I need to de-clutter the utility room and make room for the old sewing unit down there. I'm gifting it to DH for his woodworking projects.
~ two of the hallway bookcases are actually pine display units. I hope to turn them back into display units, and get books off them. That means cutting the size of our book collection by 1/4. We have LOTS of books.
~ buy a new sofa by New Year's.
~ buy a new stereo system by Christmas. Ours doesn't work.
~ re-make oak printer's desk for a quilt/rug shelving unit.
~ refinish bedroom oak vanity.
~ buy a new dining room table (or old one to refinish) and move current dining room table to the studio for a cutting table.
~ figure out how to treat an oil painted surface so it will accept a latex paint! I have a window well to paint that is a very deep loud blue at the moment. I want to turn it into a light sage green.
~ means I'll have to spray paint the metal security bars white...hmmm...
~ also means I'll have to replace the plastic weatherstripping/insulation on the windows.
~ buy a new lamp for the sewing desk.

Lots to do...

Jean

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So things to work on...
~ sell Mom's stuff or donate to charity, to empty out basement. - working on this. Have things listed on Kijiji.
~ empty out sewing unit in living room and move stuff down to studio. - working on this. The sewing unit is half cleared. I have a muscle spasm in my back and can't lift or bend to the side. Right now I can't even lift my arms above my shoulders. So no moving anything!
~ buy a chest of drawers for studio to house fabric. - DH and I talked about this. I am going to haunt the secondhand stores when my back gets better and see what I can find to refinish.
~ give Mom's Christian book collection to the church (if they want it), to clean out space in retreat room bookcases...so I can move some books from the studio bookcase into there. Want all my writing reference material in one room.- DONE!
~ go through Mom's bird books to see what I can pass off to DBRO#1 who claims he wants her bird books...even though he doesn't birdwatch. - DONE! DBRO is coming over Christmas and will take them home with him...I hope.
~ buy wicker baskets to store sewing stuff on shelves. - well I got the shelving up, but realized I had nothing to put on it yet! so why buy the baskets? I did, however, come up with a plan to store my rug hooking wool in wicker baskets in the sunroom. But I need more shelving for them too. Sigh. It never ends!
~ hang shelves after paint dries. - DONE!
~ buy brackets to hang shelving. - DONE!
~ mount pegboard above sewing desk, after the paint dries! - DONE!
~ mount bulletin board, after the paint dries! - DONE!
~ buy felt and insulation board to make a design wall, and make the design wall. - not yet.
~ move homeschooling books to basement, and homekeeping books. They are in the hallway now. My goal is to get the bookcases out of the hallway and into the living room. - Ended up moving homekeeping books to the dining room and homeschool books to the basement.
~ means I need to de-clutter the utility room and make room for the old sewing unit down there. I'm gifting it to DH for his woodworking projects. - Nope!
~ two of the hallway bookcases are actually pine display units. I hope to turn them back into display units, and get books off them. That means cutting the size of our book collection by 1/4. We have LOTS of books. - Started on this. I have one bookshelf almost empty.
~ buy a new sofa by New Year's. - Nope.
~ buy a new stereo system by Christmas. Ours doesn't work. - Nope
~ re-make oak printer's desk for a quilt/rug shelving unit. - Nope
~ refinish bedroom oak vanity. - Nope, nights are too cold to leave it out while working on it, and no room to work on it in the house. This will probably have to wait until next spring now.
~ buy a new dining room table (or old one to refinish) and move current dining room table to the studio for a cutting table. - Nope.
~ figure out how to treat an oil painted surface so it will accept a latex paint! I have a window well to paint that is a very deep loud blue at the moment. I want to turn it into a light sage green. - Nope, will have to wait till spring.
~ means I'll have to spray paint the metal security bars white...hmmm... - will also have to wait till spring.
~ also means I'll have to replace the plastic weatherstripping/insulation on the windows.- won't have to worry about this till next fall.
~ buy a new lamp for the sewing desk. - Been looking, but haven't found anything suitable in my price range. Last one I saw that might work was an OTT lamp for $75. Not a lot of selection in lamps here.

Lots to do...

Jean
That's pretty good. If it weren't for my back troubles, I could get a lot more done. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I can sit and stand, so I'm doing a lot of sewing, typing, reading - that sort of thing. And walking...which i could certainly use more of!

Jean

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Wow! What a well-thought-out list!! Good luck with it!!

About painting over the oil-based blue paint----use 2 coats of a primer like Kilz, then paint over that. I painted over dark paneling by first using 2 coats of Kilz, then used two coats of pale yellow, and it looked great.

Kilz is sold everywhere---Walmart, hardward stores, big box stores, etc.

Reading your list is inspiring me to do more in my house. Now that the weather is cooler, I actually have the energy to do some stuff.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I am putting decluttering the house at the top of my to do list. I have started with our study. And now that I have started it, I see it was WAY WORSE than I originally thought. Good luck with your list!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ilovechocolate (I do too!)! I'm going to try it tomorrow then. I have some kilz and it's supposed to be a warm day. That is, assuming my back doesn't act up like it did today.

Jean

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So things to work on...
~ sell Mom's stuff or donate to charity, to empty out basement. - selling two places on-line, consignment stores, donating to thrift stores and church.
~ empty out sewing unit in living room and move stuff down to studio. - Picked up some plastic drawers for most of it...just a few more items to go. Still shopping for a dresser, but not until I get rid of Mom's stuff! Madly going through it...
~ buy a chest of drawers for studio to house fabric. - still on my plate
~ give Mom's Christian book collection to the church (if they want it), to clean out space in retreat room bookcases...so I can move some books from the studio bookcase into there. Want all my writing reference material in one room. - DONE
~ go through Mom's bird books to see what I can pass off to DBRO#1 who claims he wants her bird books...even though he doesn't birdwatch. -DONE
~ buy wicker baskets to store sewing stuff on shelves. - decided to just recycle some old plastic margarine containers with stuff.
~ hang shelves after paint dries. - DONE
~ buy brackets to hang shelving. -DONE
~ mount pegboard above sewing desk, after the paint dries! - DONE
~ mount bulletin board, after the paint dries! - DONE
~ buy felt and insulation board to make a design wall, and make the design wall. - working on this next paycheck.
~ move homeschooling books to basement, and homekeeping books. They are in the hallway now. My goal is to get the bookcases out of the hallway and into the living room. - books moved, but need to move some furniture...gotta empty the sewing unit and get rid of it.
~ means I need to de-clutter the utility room and make room for the old sewing unit down there. I'm gifting it to DH for his woodworking projects. - DH isn't sure he wants it. Will have to talk to him about this.
~ two of the hallway bookcases are actually pine display units. I hope to turn them back into display units, and get books off them. That means cutting the size of our book collection by 1/4. We have LOTS of books. - selling lots of books on-line.
~ buy a new sofa by New Year's. - DH and I have decided to make this our Christmas present this year. gives me the fall to get the sunroom/living room/dining room in order.
~ buy a new stereo system by Christmas. Ours doesn't work. - questionable, but there's hope.
~ re-make oak printer's desk for a quilt/rug shelving unit. - may not happen till after we get the utility room straightened out.
~ refinish bedroom oak vanity. - not happening. Got cold too quick. Put off till spring.
~ buy a new dining room table (or old one to refinish) and move current dining room table to the studio for a cutting table. - will put off till later this fall. I'm thinking it might be time to check some auctions.
~ figure out how to treat an oil painted surface so it will accept a latex paint! I have a window well to paint that is a very deep loud blue at the moment. I want to turn it into a light sage green. - still looking for the Kilz. I know it's here someplace!
~ means I'll have to spray paint the metal security bars white...hmmm... -checking our house repair budget to see if this is covered.
~ also means I'll have to replace the plastic weatherstripping/insulation on the windows. - again dependent on the house repair budget.
~ buy a new lamp for the sewing desk. - put off till next payday...or two.

I can't believe I can't find the KILZ. I just saw it the other day! This is so frustrating... Well, I may just go buy a new can of it. Might be easiest in the long run.

Jean

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Wow you've been busy!

Well done. It's hard to let go of things. My mom is still holding onto my grandma stuff, she's been gone almost 9 years, and my brothers, he's been gone 5years now. It's such a hard thing to do. Good for you for taking those steps!

What book were you working on? I haven't found a reference it.

I'm doing the same with my workspace. It's in need of some help..lol. I have all I need to organize it, just need to get there

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I gave up! I couldn't find the KILZ. DH is sure we have some somewhere too. Neither of us can figure out where it is, and we've looked. So I picked up the equivalent at Walmart when I was there today. It's a CIL product. I hope it works.

Also managed to cobble together a lamp that would work for my sewing desk for $30 from Walmart... Much better than the equivalent OTT light at $169! And I have the same quality light. Plus it's clamp on, which is what I wanted.

Realized I needed a surge protector and pulled one of Mom's out of her pile of stuff I was going to get rid of. Maybe your mom isn't so far out keeping stuff 9 years?! You never know what you might need!

What book are you referring to? The book I wrote? It's called "Unit Studies - a how-to guide for homeschoolers". It covers unit studies from structured to unstructured - using four styles of doing them as examples. Plus it has lots of examples of things to do and resources, etc. I guess if you're interested, PM me and we'll talk. I don't think I'm allowed to sell things on this board, am I?

Jean

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the CIL Kilz replacement didn't work. So we bought some of the real stuff today. We've yet to try it.

And the lamp quit working with my nice bulb after one day, but it works with the one they provided with it, which is crappy light to sew by. So it wasn't much of a savings. Maybe I can sell it on-line and buy myself the real OTT light next. I should know, when it comes to lighting...don't go cheap.

We picked up the insulation board to make the design wall today too. I'll spend some time putting it together tomorrow...maybe. I probably won't be home much this week actually.

Also picked up paint for the window wells in the studio.

DH decided we needed new basement windows. He was helping me paint yesterday and couldn't get the windows closed. Good thing he was doing it. When he saw how bad they were he became plenty frustrated.

While we were at the store, we requested new exterior doors too. They won't be able to put them in until November or December...that will be plenty cool here. Though they may be able to squeeze us in, if we're a small job (less than a day).

I hope we are!

Jean

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
you need a oil based primer to cover the oil based paint. Then you can paint with latex. Done this many times. I've not been impressed with Kilz, it's never worked great for me.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only things I didn't get done were...

~ buy a new sofa by New Year's.
~ buy a new stereo system by Christmas. Ours doesn't work.
~ re-make oak printer's desk for a quilt/rug shelving unit.
~ refinish bedroom oak vanity.
~ buy a new dining room table (or old one to refinish) and move current dining room table to the studio for a cutting table.

Mostly, the weather has turned too cold for refinishing furniture outside. and the only other place I have to do it is my studio, and I don't want the smell down there. Things look a lot nicer now. Just need to clear Mom's stuff out of here. But that will start big time the end of this month. Then a lot of stuff listed on-line for sale expires and will go to goodwill.

As soon as Mom's stuff is cleared out, I'll do a final cleaning up of the studio and take photos to post on my blog...probably the end of the month.

Thanks for being here to motivate me and hold me accountable everyone!

Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts