Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to finally get to Whole Foods Market the other day and so wanted to spend money buying things, condiments & spices especially. I ended up with a couple hot sauces for hubby and some spices for me. If I could have spent a little more I probably would have gone for some new vinegar or mustard that I haven't tried.
I've been wanting some smoked chipotle pepper & smoked paprika for a while and now that I have it I need to hunt down things to put it in lol.
What new ingredient(s) do you want to try? Already know how you are going to use them?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'd like to run up and down the bulk aisle at Whole Foods getting a little bit of everything :lol:

I am not really interested in the other parts of the store... yes, it is a wonderful store, but at those prices, it's like window shopping with smell-o-vision.

I want to try different legumes and spices...

When the ex is up and around on his own and I have a minute to call my own, I plan on going to WF!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Ha! I just braved a freak blizzard this am to make my way to WF :laugh: I thought I knew what I wanted to buy but forgot by the time I got there. I did buy their baked goods - muffins & cookies as a treat for DF & I later on tonight and rest of this week. Also bought some flavoured agave syrup - maple - as my dad tossed the bottle with the last inch of plain agave left in it. He had no idea what it was & thought it was empty in the cupboard. Lil did he know that that 1" would've lasted me another 3 months!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Recently went to Whole Foods for the first time. Probably picked the wrong day as it was a Saturday. I was not able to look at anything because people were so rude. Don't know if it's cause it was so busy or what but it was crazy. As I was trying to look at the bulk aisle people were trying to get in between me and the food with their buggys....not going behind me where there was room. It felt like I could only go down the aisles as fast as possible and grab from the shelves but never stop moving. My husband was so ticked off at a guy who kept hitting him with his buggy that we just left because he was at the fixin to fight point...and he's not the type but he was just that mad. Anyhow what little I did see was so way out of proportion price wise. Somethings I could find in my local grocery store for at least 2-3 dollars less....and that was just salad dressing. Not a happy shopping experience for me....darn it!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Our closest Whole Foods is way out of my way, so I don't get there very often. I have to console myself with The Nugget and Trader Joe's. :)

It sounds a bit odd, but one place I really want to try is a little hole-in-the-wall bakery that specializes in gluten-free and vegan goods. I just find myself fascinated by the idea of tasty baked goods that are made without animal products or gluten. I haven't gone in yet, because I am worried that I will make it a regular thing, once I cross the threshold!!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a hard time, Gotonenerveleft. Yeah, WF's tends to be more expensive than most places but there are some really nice buys there if you're willing to look. But not at the expense of being constantly rammed by an idiot whose not paying attention to the world around him. (Or is just being a jerk.)

I go to WF's for some of their prepared meats/meals, but only a few times a year.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
We have this lovely Mom and Pop whole foods store near us. They make the most incredible baked goods, veg, vegan. They have a cafe that serves breakfast and lunches, and a cold case with lots of veg, vegan and non veg foods prepared. It's the bomb! So hard to not buy everything when you walk in the door.

I think the next new thing on my list is lotus root.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
There's a small Indian grocery store across the street from me that I've been in a couple of times. It has some interesting stuff but I wouldn't know what to do with most of it. (Other than the vegatables.)

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
I have a hard time getting out of WF with less than $50 worth of stuff, mainly their imported cheeses get me. But I love their produce because it is always super fresh, and even if it is $1 more than the regular grocery across the street it just lasts longer in the fridge once I get it home. I used to throw out lettuce all the time until I started buying it there. And I won't buy fish anyplace else in town.

I love looking through the frozen prepared foods. I buy the vegetarian and ethnic entrees they sell, even though they are a little pricey they are nothing compared to going to a restaurant. So I can get my curry fix relatively cheap. Those and the cheese are the things I try most often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.