Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may know that I quit my job at CVS months ago to be a SAHM and make my daughter's life more important that my employer. Priorities, right? Well, hubby is getting ready to get cut a full day each week at the fire department (all the guys are) and with the cost of gasoline and everything else going up (and wanting to fund an EF AND get my washer/dryer paid off sooner) I decided to try to find a part-time job. I've been sending out resumes with no responses. Of course, I've been adamant about finding something that will NOT require me to put dd on the back burner like my other jobs have; needles to say I haven't had much luck.

About a week ago another mom and I were at the bus stop waiting on our young'uns and we were talking about the recent switch in bus drivers and the problems they seem to have keeping somebody for our route. I jokingly said "I oughta apply to be a bus driver" and the other mom looked at me and said "You should! I called the school board about an issue with the bus once this year and they told me they're DESPERATE for drivers." So, I called the very next morning and was told the same thing. "PLEASE apply, we need drivers desperately!" Folks I went down there and applied, was fingerprinted for an FBI background check (kinda fun, LOL) and was given an impromptu interview on the spot. I was called back in this week on Wednesday for a real interview and was given materials to study for my CDL license. I was called again on Thursday and told that I had the job and my training starts this Monday morning at 8:30 a.m. !!!!!! Yippeeeeee! :yippee:

The best part is: my schedule is 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. each morning and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. each afternoon (Monday thru Friday). When the kids are out of school, I'm off. My pay is pro-rated through the year so that I'll still get a check during the summer months, they have good insurance benefits, PLUS I'll be eligible for the same state retirement system that dh is in through the fire department. I'm guaranteed a minimum of 20 hours per week at $9.75/hour with any trips I drive being extra. My dd is excited . . . her first thought was "Mom, did you know that the bus drivers get to eat for FREE when they take field trips?" LOL, it's good to know that her head is in the right place. :wink:

Seriously though, I'm stoked. Can't wait to start training.

·
27,948 Posts
Good for you & I must say you are a braver woman than I. I've always wondered how bus drivers drive with all those kids behind them doing who knows what. Good thing you (women in general) have eyes in back of your head.

Glad you have hours that work for you & your family.:tay:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
:hurray: :cheergrl: :dancing: :congrats:

Good for you and your daughter...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Congratulations on the new job!! You have great working hours!!

Our school district is in desperate need of school bus drivers too!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Congratulations! My father just retired from the job he worked for 35 years and since he's only 54 years old he just started driving a school bus. He said he really likes the hours, because he's retired now and wants more time for himself and he doesn't mind driving the bus, he just finished training and got his license. I think it's great for you with the hours matching up with your daughter's so well :).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Congratulations and good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much! I'm so excited to get started. :biggrin:

Marie78, the lady that interviewed me asked what interested me in the job initially and when I told her "the hours and being able to still be a mom" she grinned and said that every woman she has ever interviewed has said the same thing . . . and that the men have always been older, retired gentlemen that just want something to do a few hours a week. It's a perfect job for people in that situation.

My dd has informed me that I can't growl into the mirror and say "Sit down, maggots!" LOL we're having a lot of fun with this.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that's awesome, we need new bus drivers here too but I dont picture myself driving a big bus, lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congratulations!

My mom was a bus driver for years, then my sister and her husband became bus drivers. My step-mom is one too. It's a bit of a family business with us I guess! ;)

My family loves it. My mom doesn't do it anymore, but my other three family members still do and they couldn't be happier. They love the hours and the pay (they get paid $76 per day here).

They've said getting your CDL license isn't too hard! Good luck and congrats again on the new job!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Great news,
I hope you love it.
I know I couldn't do it. I'm not a kid person...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much to everyone and the warm words of support. :vibes: I start training tomorrow and I'm starting to get nervous. I've got the CDL book here at home and have been looking through it . . . they expect me to parallel park a bus and I can't even park my CAR that way, LOL.

I guess I should leave out the tidbit of information about wrecking a fire truck several years ago, huh? And not even on the way to a run, but on the way home doing under 5mph. :blush: Yep, I think we'll leave that under the rug where it belongs!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats KYfirestorm! :rose: And how wonderful that schedule will be for you and your daughter! Despite the incident with the firetruck, lol, I am positive you will learn to parallel park a bus.
Even though I am a teacher, I could not even imagine myself driving a load of kids around. We all do have great fun on the field trips. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts