Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some imput please. I currently have a very good job, however, I am very miserable. So, maybe I'm whining - not sure.

I have worked for the company for approx 3 yrs....I worked there for 2 1/2 yrs was layed off in December, but rehired thru corp office in January. Since I have been back, I have been working lots of hrs - 14 + some days 18 +. I am salary so this is expected. No offer of comp time or anything.

This past week I have been on sick leave - they have called me numerous times, etc. So really not recouping...I dont mind helping, but meds make me really sleepy/out of it.

I have just started looking into other areas of employment. Here is the problem, since I do make good money at current job, I am limited as to how much of a pay cut I can take with new position. I have worked in various office positions for 20+ years - in the last 16 though I have been a computer programmer. The language I am programming in is in short supply in my area. So I am looking into other possible positions.

Can any one tell me their opinions on possible jobs...One that I am looking into is truck driver training. It has a relatively short training program and the money potential seems to be there. Any other short training programs that make great money? I am also trying to get bills paid off so that money is not as much an issue.

Thank you for any advise.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My husband was a truck driver with jb hunt for 8 years He then became a trainer for them The money was decent but dont let anyone fool you it is a hard life. Especially for a woman I dont know if you plan to go local or over the road It is of course a male dominated industry and you had better have a thick skin. Depending on where you live the traffic can make you crazy If you go over the road the hygeine and safety issues come into play also you eat alot of crappy meals but you make more money. Local drivers do ok and you get home every night but the earning potential is more limited. If your wheels arent rolling your not making money.feel free to pm me and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have

·
Registered
275 Posts
You are limited in what pay cut you can take.
You have a good paying job in this bad economy.

You are thinking of walking away from that guaranteed paycheck each week and starting an unknown amt. of money in a hard line of work.....Hmmm......I would think very careful on this right now.

Can you train to drive while working?
Get your CDL while you work and that way you know you have a paycheck. Our truck driver training facility I believe gives night classes etc.

Why are you miserable at your job? Any specific reasons? Is it just the hours, cause if it just that, you could seriously talk with personnel and scale back...(maybe?)

edited to say if you do want to leave your job, bank money and prepare yourself. best to leave with some security than to just walk and take chances.

If it is not truly horrible at your job, I would find ways to fix what problems I had there and keep the better paycheck...LOL

best of luck to you. I have been in jobs I didn't like, but suffered thru until I could make a reasonable and successful job change without sacrificing too much.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your answers. The may reason I was looking into the truck driver training - in our area - the tuition is waived if you are accepted in to the program. So, I'm not sure I could be accepted for that --- just trying to look at other options. Yes, in some ways I feel like im being a big baby. In the end, I know that I will probably just suck it up and stick it out. I do have a great job that makes wonderful money. I just hate the hours, the people I'm working with and the insecurity. Since I had been layed off once - I will probably be the first to go again. In the past, I have always worked two jobs and do not remember ever being this miserable.

Thank you again.

Dawn

·
Registered
275 Posts
you do sound like you are going to need a change.....so prepare.

seriously, start looking into what you can train to be. attack this like any other frugal problem...LOL---save money to be ready to leave, research your options on new jobs, etc. and then one day you will just want to leave your job...but you will be ready!!!

worst thing is a knee-jerk reaction and quit or something like that....we usually suffer for a while when we do that. but preparing to get out and get new freedom and start over, go for it!!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Along with what lora88 stated......if you want to know more about the testing for it, you can 'probably' get a booklet at your local DMV...or they can tell you where to get one.

I got the book years ago to check it out. Think I got the book at local DMV to explain the testing part and driving to get CDL.

Good luck and let us know what you decide........keep the economy in mind when making your decision. Truck driving is TOUGH right now....whether driving for someone or owning a truck. Have two friends that took a large pay cut to 'dump their truck' (read sold it) and drive for someone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts