Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the impending purchase of our new home, we're looking to also upgrade the appliances. DH and I both want something functional and not overbearing (the chances of us getting a galley kitchen are pretty good) that's durable and lasts a long time.

Stainless steel is definitely on our list.

What would you recommend in terms of name brand?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Like cars, you will get all kinds of favorites and horror stories of particular brands.

We have a Kenmore and have had 0 issues.

We had a GE and burned up two compressors.

If I was looking, I would do some searching for refridgerator reviews.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I second consumer reports.

If you do not get the magazine you can look up on line which issue has appliance ratings in them and then head to the library for that issue.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I second consumer reports.

If you do not get the magazine you can look up on line which issue has appliance ratings in them and then head to the library for that issue.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Our Whirlpool dishwasher died way before it's time. I will never buy a Whirlpool appliance again. :(

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Didn't GE buy Whirlpool or something like that?

My ice maker went out after a year on my GE fridge and I think you all know how much I hate my GE front loader. :(

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll steer away from those and check out the Consumer Reports. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dishwasher & ovens (yep, 2 of them) are Whirlpool Gold, fridge is Whirlpool and smooth top stove is Jenn-Air. The only thing we bought was the fridge. Everything else came with the house. 6+ years and no problems with anything. *knocks on wood* ;)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm sure glad you've had no problems Madjen. Both our dishwasher and fridge are Whirlpool Gold, and the dishwasher like I said died and the water/ice dispenser is broken on the fridge. :( I sure hope your luck holds out. Knocking on wood with you.

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
If I were you I'd check with someone who has stainless steel (maybe someone in here) My sister got it and hates it!!
Is it because of the fingerprints it shows?? Had a bunch of SS counter appliances..........that was enough for me.

BTDT.........I wouldn't want stainless steel.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Consumer Reports
I agree...........what was good 'yesterday' could be in the toilet today.

I have always had good luck with Whirlpool......but check them out.

The thing with C Rep. is that I could never find the model they rec. for a 'best buy'........

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm sure glad you've had no problems Madjen. Both our dishwasher and fridge are Whirlpool Gold, and the dishwasher like I said died and the water/ice dispenser is broken on the fridge. :( I sure hope your luck holds out. Knocking on wood with you.
What years were/are they???

We got the fridge in 2004. Everything else was here when we moved in.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Whirlpool used to be an excellent brand many moons ago. My parents still have the 70's washer and dryer. Hey, it works better than my modern GE appliances.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Hmmm...I think the fridge is 5-6 years old Maybe 4?, the dishwasher 3? Somewhere around there.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Is it because of the fingerprints it shows?? Had a bunch of SS counter appliances..........that was enough for me.

BTDT.........I wouldn't want stainless steel.
Yes that was the reason. She couldn't keep the fingerprints off it. I have always found the best way to find out if something you want to buy is a good idea is consumer reports and everyone you know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.