Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August's(OLD)New Scrapbook / Paper Crafts Club Swap

:)(don't sign up for this swap. It is the old one for August, sign up for the September swap in the other thread. We bumped it so that you'd be able to read the rules as I tried to link to it for the September Swap, but the link didn't work)

New Scrapbook / Paper Crafts Club Swap:

Technique Trading Cards:

I thought it was a great time to get a new swap going. This one will be done slightly differently than the other ones. The idea of this swap is to learn and show each other new techniques that pertain to scrapping and paper crafts.

What you do:

Chose a technique you would like to demonstrate (ie, creative sticker uses, chalk, watercolors, creative bead use, etc). Cut cardstock into 2 ½” by 3 ½” rectangles, and do that technique onto the card stock. You will duplicate your card as many times as there are other participants in this swap. For example, if there are 5 people in the swap, you will make one for you and one for each of the other participants. (once the swap sign up deadline has passed, I will post how many people have signed up) . Make your trading cards using the same materials as the one you started with (the one you have made for yourself) and try your best to copy as closely as you can. Even if you don’t know many techniques or have never done one you can do this. (I’ll even have a list at the end of this post with possible technique ideas to get the creative juices going). There are tons of web sites, and even links here to techniques that are neat and would be fun to learn and demonstrate.

Some basic guidelines:

1. Make 3 ½” X 2 ½” cards (6 ½ X 9 cm) cards. Cards will highlight a specific technique or creative idea you have or know.
2. You make as many cards as there are participants in the swap.
3. Send all your cards to me and I separate the cards into separate piles, and send them out to you. Meaning you send me identical cards, and I send you back one each of the cards sent in by the other participants. (if 5 people sign up, you will in the end have sent out 5 identical cards and received back 5 different cards)
4. The cards you make for the swap are identical. If you make for example a sticker technique card, do all your cards with this technique, and try to make them all look as closely alike as possible.
5. Enclose a Self-Addressed- Stamped-Envelope with your card. An extra stamp would be great too, in case some cards are heavier than others. (I will return your extra stamp in your SASE if it is not needed)
6. After I receive all the cards from all the participants I will split them up so everyone has one from each of the participants. I will put them all in the mail right away too, so you get your trading cards right away! :)
7. The whole idea is to have a result of a Trading card (think Baseball card or Pokemon cards) to share with each other; so the flatter the better. Might help to do your work on a piece of cardstock slightly smaller than the size mentioned, then to mat the cards onto a 3 ½ X 2 ½ piece of cardstock- just a suggestion.
8. On the back of the cards write brief instructions on the technique used (and if any specific supplies are needed) so that others can learn the technique.
9. Don’t forget to sign your work!:) Ya never know when we could become technique gurus! We want to be able to say “I knew_____ when they were just startin out!”

Technique Ideas:

1. Creative Sticker use
2. Embossing
3. Chalks
4. Watercolors
5. Stamps
6. Glitter
7. Torn edges or torn paper
8. Serendipity Squares
9. Rubbings
10. Paper Mosaic
11. Creative Button Use
12. Creative Bead Use
13. String/ Yarn/ Fiber use
14. Dry Embossing
15. Stenciling
16. Liquid applique
17. Paints
18. Creative Shadowing
19. Creative Fabric Usage
20. Be creative, I bet you can come up with lots more ideas than I have, post more ideas if you like.

Because I am a procrastinator; I have to set up some deadlines for this.
* Drop your trading cards in the mail to me by no later than August 28th (pm me to let me know you have put your cards into the mail, so I can keep an eye out for them, you can mail them to me earlier if you like.) PM me and I’ll give you my address when you need it.

If we are going to be doing this monthly (we'll decide after the first swap finishes up) you might want to go to the store and pick yourself up a pack of trading card protector sheets...the ones that you put into a binder and has room on each page for 9 cards. WalMart has em for around 1.50 for a pack of ten.

Here’s a link to a layout of cutting for the 3 ½ X 2 ½ cards, so that you can get the most out of one sheet of cardstock:

http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/tcdiag.htm
(If the link doesn't work, I'll post a pic of the layout)

And here’s an example of cards that I have done in the past. These are also technique Trading Cards I did.

:)(don't sign up for this swap. It is the old one for August, sign up for the September swap in the other thread. We bumped it so that you'd be able to read the rules as I tried to link to it for the September Swap, but the link didn't work)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great!!! This should be lots of fun! Anyone else??:D

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bumping this up... :bump: 2 days left to sign up.
I have done this kind of trade before, and really have enjoyed doing it, it turns out to be a whole lot of fun. I have gotten wonderful ideas this way, great inspiration, and shared a love of crafting too.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last full day to sign up ladies :D Are ya gonna let Melody and I have ALL the fun?? :D

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Melissa ~ I'm really sorry that I didn't answer your PM about this thread :(

It sounds like great fun! I would have loved to do this swap but I just don't have the time right now as I'm doing cards that have been ordered, my scrapbook and my de-clutter challenge :sleepy:

I'm really sorry, it doesn't mean I'm 'out' altogether ~ hopefully I can do the next one?

Have fun though ~ It's a wonderful swap.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats ok Bev, I am going to do another one the beginning of September, I think.:)

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Thats ok Melissa! We will have the fun this time and EVERYONE will want to get in on it the next time! Take care Bev, and we will get you in on the next one! :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bumping this thread for infor for the current (September's) swap
:bump:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts