Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a new sewing machine for about two years now. I have been using a 30-year-old New Home that I have had to constantly fight with, despite regular maintenance. It was just old. So I broke down last weekend and bought a new Janome Magnolia (computerized model) for $349. I know it wasn't the most frugal thing to do, but quilting is one of my few hobbies and having a machine that works well really helps me enjoy my hobby. It certainly wasn't the most expensive machine out there. Some women in my guild have machines that run into the thousands of dollars. But for me, this was the right price with the right features that should last a long, long time!

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations on your new sewing machine!! Frugal doesn't mean never buying something that will enhace your life!! Enjoy it!! I'm sure you'll be posting lots of pictures soon!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Good for you...Enjoy..I know that I sure have enjoyed the only new machine that I ever owned...your didn't waste money your useing it to save really and doing something that you enjoy.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
:congrats: Have fun with it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
You won't get a thrashing from me! I'm all for being frugal in other areas so we can afford our hobbies! Enjoy your new machine - a good machine makes the world of difference in sewing. Have fun :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
No thrashing here. A good machine produces good things. And reduces your stress level! Back in the day I collected machines and I'm so glad I did. I have a hand crank machine, 2 pedals and a 1949 singer featherweight. When my newer machines act cranky, I go to the tried and true. They never fail me. I'm saving my coins now to get my pfaff machine repaired. Only 60.00 more and it'll go to the sewing machine hospital.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Must be something about that machine! I just put a down payment on one on Monday! Mine was alittle more than yous mine was 350. But I'm so excited I'll pay the extra!!
My machine was a hand me down from my grandmother a Singer so old that parts were impossible to get. The gears that drove my feed dogs broke and I was looking at well over 150 to fix it. So I figured it was time.

Laurie in Bradenton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts