Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On saturday night, 11pm on the Style network channel. I came across a new show called Maxed Out. The woman they interviewed was 25 yrs old and in $209,000 debt. She met with a financial counselor and she gave her her options and she ultimately decided which way to go to dig herself out. It was a half hour show and very interesting. The young lady chose bankruptcy. And at the end of the show you saw a follow up interview with her i assume a few months later and she felt empowered because she was in charge of her finances for once and seemed to be on the right track as long as she keeps us with what she is doing.. I just wanted to share this with everyone maybe we can learn a thing or two from the show. I honestly dont know the regular time for the show. If i see any more info on it. I'll post it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I saw that too on Saturday night. It was on at 8:00pm here on the east coast. I like that show, I have seen several other last season episodes, they were never on at a set time though. I hope now that it's a new season it will be on each Saturday night. It's interesting to see what kinds of debt other people have and their solutions for dealing with it.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I would disagree with that woman that a BK was the way to go. I don't get cable tv so I'm not able to comment on the show. My family has cable so I'll watch it when I visit them this summer.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, I didnt know that show was on last season. I'll have to keep an eye out for it now. I've been watching all the decluttering show's, I should also pay attention to the financial shows.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The show is also on Slice. I didn't watch it because I was too tired to stay up, but I definitely want to. There's also a show called Till Debt Do Us Part which is awesome. I like watching shows like this for the same reason I like watching Suze Orman: it makes me feel MUCH better about my own situation.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've never seen the show but I hardly feel bankruptcy is a way out, personally for the way I see it explained in the first post it sort of seemed like an instant way out of all that debt and not a way to learn to dig yourself out. Cowardly way out is what I am trying to say. At 25yrs old and $200,000+ in debt, what was she thinking?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sorry if i didnt explain the episode better. Her boyfriend had talked her into buying a condo, basically for him she wasnt living there at the time and he never paid rent to her nor the monthly HOA fee's and at first the mail re these bills were being mailed to the condo and the boyfriend just threw them away also during this time she took out a $10,000 loan FOR HIM. Ugh. So she was paying rent for an apt for her and she ate out alot, etc When she finally met with the financial lady she explained fully her 2 choices, Bk or working with a company I guess like consumer crediting co. well the consumer credit deal she freaked out over because shed have "large" payments each month for a few years and she'd have to serve eviction notice on her exBf herself. She chose BK so the bank would have to evict him and all the other reasons for BK. Now she rents a basement apt from a family, is much closer to work, takes lunch & snacks to work. she feels more in control and will not be buying such expensive things for boyfriends. Hope that clears up her choice. I definately want to catch the show more often now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts