Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am entertaining the thought of organic gardening. I am a total rookie and thought I should start out small....maybe herbs and/or container gardening?

I live in CA, what can I plant now? Or should I wait until spring?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If your winters aren't severe, you could start cold crops - e.g., spinach, lettuce, kale, radishes, endive, bok-choi, bunching onions, etc.

My standard sources are Pinetree Garden Seeds (in Maine - good for their low prices, low-budget catalog, and smaller size seed packets), Park Seeds (SC - gorgeous catalog, great variety, more expensive), and Burpee's (ditto). I also shop at Jung's Seed Co. and its subsidiaries (Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Company, and I think R. H. Shumway is also owned by Jung's now) ... though that company is local to me so I just go to their garden center in town.

·
2,688 Posts
See if any of your local stores still have seeds from this spring. Most would be on markdown I would think.
We have a Country Max farm store locally, that marks down real steep at the end of the season. I bought I can't tell you how many packages of seed at .15 each. I know the total was just over $ 22 :) I keep telling hubby we need more of our 2 acres into garden instead of mainly lawn.

Reactions: knitnmom

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I used to order from Parks but I started having problems with low or total lack of germination. For the past 10 years I've been ordering from PineTree, Vermont Bean and Totally Tomatoes. I get some seeds from Gurney's that the others don't have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.