Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
made this last rainy cold weekend.

i did not soak the beans. put two bags of washed, sorted dried split peas, 1/2 pound raw oscar meyer bacon, large quantity of garlic powder. crockpot left to cook on low overnight.

it was so good i ate the whole pot on saturday and sunday.

·
27,948 Posts
2 16 oz bags? That's alotta beans! How much water did you use?
I love pea soup too. :)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 16 oz bags? That's alotta beans! How much water did you use?
I love pea soup too. :)
to within one inch of the top of the 6 quart crock pot.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good for you! Sounds like you've found a winner. Can't beat cheap, easy and healthy.

I use split peas as well as lentils quite often because you don't have to soak them. I don't always think far enough ahead of time to soak dried beans.

I make split pea soup because it healthy and pretty inexpensive. I add a little chopped onion and carrot to mine and leave out the pork. I add a little balsamic vinegar or Braggs liquid aminos for a flavor boost.

I don't think two bags of peas is too much at all. I use one and it doesn't make a really big pot of soup. Split peas don't really swell up like we think of dried beans doing -- they get pretty mushy and don't make for a lot of volume. I don't puree mine as some recipes call for -- I like mine a little chunky.

I've never made it in the crock pot -- will have to try it next time.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Oh My, This soup is So Goood. It's the first time I ever made it..

I used the crockpot, I grated a large carrot, diced up about 2 cups of ham and a half of large onion. Dumped it into the crockpot. Then it says a large quanity of garlic salt. I just dumped it in until I thought it was large. Rinsed & sorted out the 2 bags of peas, filled it up to the inch from the top.Gave it a stir..I waited all day for this to get done,,

it is the best soup.. The family just Loves it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just made a pretty good cabbage soup with all leftovers in the crockpot.
A bunch of celery chopped.
A head of cabbage chopped.
An onion chopped.
A half bottle of Bloody Mary Mix.
Add water to bring to top of crockpot.
Salt to taste.
After it cooked ten hours, I used the immersion blender and pureed some of it to give is some thickness, but I didn't puree the whole thing. Then, I added some couscous to give it a little more "stick to your ribs." It's good. You can servve it over crusty bread and with grated parm cheese.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh My, This soup is So Goood. It's the first time I ever made it..

I used the crockpot, I grated a large carrot, diced up about 2 cups of ham and a half of large onion. Dumped it into the crockpot. Then it says a large quanity of garlic salt. I just dumped it in until I thought it was large. Rinsed & sorted out the 2 bags of peas, filled it up to the inch from the top.Gave it a stir..I waited all day for this to get done,,

it is the best soup.. The family just Loves it!
i am so glad you liked it. it was an experiment for me too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I absolutely love split pea soup. I usually make mine with ham pieces (leftovers), diced onion, carrots and potatoes. My Dh loves it too. It sure is an economical meal. Got to luv that!!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Made this again, with it snowing outside. It was so tasty,

MIL told me she made this also, & served it with homemade garlic bread.

I did find out that if you put alittle over the large quanity of garlic salt, it comes out too salty, I had to thin it out a tad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts