Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother's friend is cleaning out stuff and ask my mom is Little Miss would like her clarinet.

YES Please.

So she gave the clarinet to Little Miss.

Little Miss has my clarinet from elementary school ( bought used from the girl down the street from me who dropped out of band after a few years)
Little Miss is having a hard time reaching the high notes. I had a hard time reaching the notes on that clarinet when I was in 8th grade. I dropped out of band after 8th grade after going from 1st chair in 6th grade to nearly last chair in 8th.

A few days ago Little Miss came home with an Step up ( upgrade) time letter.*th grade is the time to school says is a good time to move to a better instrument. Little Miss asked if we could.

Hubby said no as we have to many expenses this year to do that. He would rethink it later.

Today my mom's friend offers Little Miss her old clarinet as she was just going to donate it anyway. she said.

I am so happy. I am fairly confident that any instrument will be better then the one that Little Miss currently has.

Crossing my finger that is true. And that Little Miss has an easier time hitting the high notes. ( no fun being the only squeaker in 8th grade)

So very kind of my mother's friend! Feeling very Blessed Right now.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh that is wonderful! Sounds like fate to me

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hand me down clarient arrived today. Little MIss is already in love with the clarinet. Better tone she belives and easier to play.

One very happy band geek girl!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I played clarinet in school. :) I had a hand me down from older sis, who got it used from someone my mom worked with at the time. It came in an old ugly wood boxed case that had this horrid fabric on the outside, it was embarrassing a bit, I admit. Everyone else had the newer plastic cases. And the clarinet was made of wood, not plastic like the newer ones. But boy... did that thing have tone!! The sound it made kicked the plastics in the butt!!! I would have probably cried if I was told I had to upgrade from my much better sounding older instrument. :(

Hope she likes her new one!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I played clarinet in school. :) I had a hand me down from older sis, who got it used from someone my mom worked with at the time. It came in an old ugly wood boxed case that had this horrid fabric on the outside, it was embarrassing a bit, I admit. Everyone else had the newer plastic cases. And the clarinet was made of wood, not plastic like the newer ones. But boy... did that thing have tone!! The sound it made kicked the plastics in the butt!!! I would have probably cried if I was told I had to upgrade from my much better sounding older instrument. :(

Hope she likes her new one!!
Upgrading and step up is moving from a plastic to a wood instrument.

Here it is generally suggested to move to a wood instrument around 8th/9th grade. They say you need it for the tone by then.

Although the band instructor told them to keep their plastic instruments for marching band when the weather would not be nice for wood made ones.

Note: orchestra upgrade and step up means moving to a full size and a better grade of wood. Little Miss will not need to upgrade her over 100 year violin that she started out in 4th with as it is already full sized seasoned solid wood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts