Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided a while ago they don't really work so I don't make them. To me it's just one of those things that makes you feel badly when you don't quite rise to the occasion and follow through with whatever it is. I just try my best and if I don't like whatever about myself or something tomorrow is a new day to do better. Goals are nice but make them realistic and don't pressure yourself.

I resolve not to make resolutions, lol.
You?

Reactions: mauimagic and jas

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I LOVE making a list of new years resolutions. It really doesn't bother me when I don't follow thru on them all. At least I know I tried ;) Maybe this coming year, I will do better. I actually kept a couple of them from last year.

Reactions: jas

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I probably won't make any. I can never stick to them anyway.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Last year, I resolved not to shop in Wal-Mart for an entire year. It wasn't really for any political reason, just that it made me unhappy from the moment I drove in the parking lot all the way to checkout, and I really didn't think I saved that much money in there anyway and it was usually just a miserable experience. I actually made it an entire year without shopping in Wal-Mart, and I'm LOT happier shopping at Target and my local grocery store. My other two New Year's resolutions, I failed at (no fried food and not to say this one particular bad word. . . ).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i make goals and usually make / revise them each month

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I love making a list each year.....I usually get carried away and make a huge list but I usually keep 2-3 out of my list....so I don't think that's half bad....I am all about impoving myself in some way or learning something new...so even if it's just one or two things...I am happy. And at least I have a list of goals to work towards...

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
I try to make one that I can reasonably expect myself to keep. I resolve to walk out in the spring and get into shape for summer, not work out and run the Boston Marathon.

This year it might be to clean out some of the garage (mostly my stuff). Or finally get the brick retaining wall built where the yard keeps sliding into the driveway. Or finish *one* of the many quilt projects I started.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The trick is to make resolutions that you can keep. Like Russ' cookie one. I bet we could ALL keep that one! :munch:

The "normal" resolutions are so unattainable for most people (and boring) that I wouldn't even bother with them. You know...lose 50 pounds, exercise two hours a day, write the great American novel, give up television, never eat out, save half your income, etc. :sleepy:

I actually kept my one and only tiny resolution for 2010. I'll have to come up with something even tinier for 2011 because I'm really tired this year. :)

·
19,119 Posts
I actually prefer the monthly challenges that we have here - much more attainable and friendlier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The trick is to make resolutions that you can keep. Like Russ' cookie one. I bet we could ALL keep that one! :munch:

The "normal" resolutions are so unattainable for most people (and boring) that I wouldn't even bother with them. You know...lose 50 pounds, exercise two hours a day, write the great American novel, give up television, never eat out, save half your income, etc. :sleepy:

I actually kept my one and only tiny resolution for 2010. I'll have to come up with something even tinier for 2011 because I'm really tired this year. :)
Lulu, you are right. It's much easier to keep such resolutions as eating cookies. Don't be afraid of your resolutions. We should try to consider them dreams. It doesn't matter you didn't achieve what you want this year. You've done at least something to get closer. Your dreams make you do something all the time. The same with resolutions. I think it would be boring if we didn't have all this...

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I do make them, and I'm about 60% on achieving them. I typically make several, knowing full well that I won't be able to keep them all, but use them as a guide for the life I want to live in 2011. Then I try to gauge how I'm doing throughout the year. Even if I fail on some of them, I typically don't fail COMPLETELY. I keep a written journal, and I write in it almost daily, so it is easy for me to write, review, and evaluate my resolutions and why I am/am not achieving them.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I think it's important to have goals, and I also think it's important to be able to revise those goals when necessary. There's no such thing as "failure" if the goal is continual improvement....or at least that's the way I try to look at it. If perfection were the goal....well, all I can say to that is "life happens"!

Here's to a successful 2011 for all of us, whatever that looks like! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.