Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are driving me insane!!! Is anyone else dealing with this? I'll be 45 in May and for a few years now I've been having them occasionally. For the past few months now I've been having them 2-3 times a week! I sometimes have to change my night clothes at least twice because I wake up drenched! My sleep is becoming so messed up because of this.

Just wondering if there is anything I can do to get them under control some. I'm on hormones (Seasonale BC pill) but that's not helping any. I have an appt with my GYN in the beginning of March and will try talking to him again, but each time bring up menopause he poo-poos it saying I'm too young. I say..B.S.!! LOL!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm 53 and going though this now. Lots of fun?!? I cut back on coffee and tea and spicey foods. A friend of mine uses alot of soy products and she loves the results. I try a take a nap whenever I can and try not to feel bad about it. My Aunt who is in her 80's said"this too shall pass". I sure hope she's right and it flies by. I know you do too.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Your dr. can have you get blood tests that will decide if you are in early menopause or not. I believe the test is for your hormone levels. I did this a few years back. Did your Mom, Grandma, sisters, aunts, go through menopause early??

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like your estrogen is too low and you may be going through menopause. I am 43 and have to use a low dose estrogen patch.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your dr. can have you get blood tests that will decide if you are in early menopause or not. I believe the test is for your hormone levels. I did this a few years back. Did your Mom, Grandma, sisters, aunts, go through menopause early??
My mom and both of my grandmothers had hysterectomies in their early 40's (so no help there). And I don't have any aunts (both my parents were only children) or sisters. It kinda blows that I have no one in my family to talk to about this.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I just turned 55 and I have night sweats though not as severe as you. My hot surges just wake me up. It is very annoying and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Definitely go to the doctor. Night sweats are not only a symptom of menopause but could be a symptom of something else going on. I know my DH had them as a side effect from medicine he was taking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've never heard of night sweats being a symptom of menopause, are they simply an extension of a hot flush?

Night sweats (if non-menopausal) are serious. Your body is trying to communicate to you that there is an auto-immune problem. I strongly suggest that you be tested for ANA (antinuclear antibodies) via a blood test and the usual screen of autoimmune indicators.

Night sweats are also common if you are suffering mononucleosis, which again interferes with your autoimmune response, particularly if you are under emotional or physical stress.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Me too. I only do it at my neck, which is a wierd sort of blessing, but my neck sweats so much some nights that my pillow is soaked along the edge where my neck hits it. Mine is not due to estrogen levels according to my doctor, but I also am in my mid forties. Anybody know anything to relieve it? I've tried putting a cold pack in my pillow, and am currently putting a heavyweight bath towel folded in half on top of my pillow.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I will second the addition of soy supplements to your diet. Try and see. Remifemin brand did not work for me but others have.

I think my night sweats are definately hormonal since they occur more frequently during the week just before my period. My whole pillow gets wet. I started putting a towel on my pillow and have a fan blowing gently towards my upper body. So if you can stand a cool breeze, go for it. I wasn't on any meds when it started so I couldn't blame it on them.

Although it may not be menopause it could be peri-menopause (the beginning phase before menopause) I am 49 now and the sweats started about 3-4 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts