Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just sick of cereal. Seems like the prices are just going higher. I always buy generic because even the brand name ones goes on sell and i have a coupon still cheaper to buy generc. But this time I SAID NO MORE!!!Bought lots of bulk sausage and turkey bacon , 6 DOZEN EGGS. Some oatmeal, pancake mix. :clap:

Reactions: QM and Booklover

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I agree about the prices.........but so goes everything.

And they keep cutting the ounces on the boxes. There is one Cheerios box that has about the equivalent of TWO BOWLS of cereal in it.......think it is 10 ounce..........:yikes:

I still buy some cereal when on sale....I just don't eat it as often and have other things for breakfast.....when I eat brkfst.

·
2,688 Posts
It's only once in a great while, that we will use cereal in this house. Every so often, he gets on a rice krispies kick and I like to keep this brand for the treats recipe. Genaric is fine.

So..........have you priced bacon ? I saw the Hormel brand this week for $ 3.98 a POUND in the super Walmart we have. THUD.
Other brands were $ 3 + a pound. I did not buy any because I still have some left this summer when I bought about 40 pounds at the dollar store. A buck a pound :) That was the day, I even questioned my own sanity. Thank goodness it really tasted good. It was a brand I was not familiar with. But in this dollar store, you have to make snap judgements. It maybe a one shot deal. And come to think of it, I have not seen any more since then.

Reactions: Nana2two

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I do not blame you on the cereal thing at all. I only buy cereal to make rice crispy treats with, not to feed this crew for breakfast.

For years now I have made my kids and DH a hot breakfast every morning. DH and DD get two eggs and four pieces of turkey bacon. DS is not an egg person so he has a turkey bacon sandwich.

Eggs at Costco run between $1.25-$2.39 for an 18 ct package and turkey bacon is $5.96 for three pounds, which lasts about a week.

I have found that eggs and bacon are about the only breakfast meal that keeps them satisfied until lunch. The few times I have given them cereal, they come home complaining of how hungry they got before lunch.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
How about a hot cooked cereal? We buy cereal flakes from a co-op and get rye, barley, oats, wheat. How about whole grains like wheat, oat groats, barley, millet cooked overnight in a crockpot?

When we do a cooking class, we always include a millet cereal in a crockpot and so far, every single person has loved it. One man even asked for leftovers to take home with him :)

You can add all kinds of dried fruit, coconut, maple syrup, etc. when you start the crockpot. Every morning for breakfast, we have 1 1/2 cups of hot cereal per person, and we add home canned in juice nectarines, blueberries and/or pears, then we add fresh apple, strawberries, peaches or whatever fruit is in season. Then throw in a small handfull of walnuts or a tablespoon of ground flax seed. We never get tired of this because the fruits are always different. We never get hungry before lunch because of all the good fiber.

We gave up on dry cereal many years ago when the kids were small. They could eat a whole box at one meal and then still be hungry before the next meal. It just didn't work for us, besides being insanely expensive. For us, hot cereal is the way to go!!

·
27,948 Posts
We don't eat much cold cereal here either.
~Grits are an economical hot breakfast we love, sure wish the local stores still sold the 5lb bag...Boy was that a good deal. Bet if I lived towards the south I'd be able to find it at a good price.
~Whole wheat toasted English muffins with peanut butter and a touch of jelly, yum!
~Hubby loves Cornmeal mush but I don't, lol.
~How about some toasted corn muffins or corn bread and some fresh fruit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm the odd one out. I eat cereal nearly every morning for breakfast. I combine the BOGO sales with coupons and only pay $.50-$1.50 per box. $.50 for something like Honey Bunches of Oats, and $1.00-$1.50 for something like Kashi or Cascadian Farms. A couple weeks ago I was able to score 4 boxes of Cascadian for free :cheergrl: Regular prices on the stuff are pretty bad, and even the BOGO sales are $3.99....so unless I've got $1/1 coupons, it's not worth it.

I definitely like eggs and sausage better than my cereal though LOL. My family always just ate a "real" breakfast on Sat. or Sun. each week...and I guess It's kinda rubbed off on me hehe. Awesome that you were able to find a cheaper alternative for your family though :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Eggs are an excellent breakfast so you won't get altzheimers disease they have choline in them so eat them up! My dh has 2 eggs in his smoothie every day!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I love dry cereal,I don't find the prices unreasonable other than for sugary cereals. I always get plain Shredded Wheat, generic, because wheat is the only ingredient.I add a banana or berries and if I am really hungry a hardboiled egg.Most days I have rolled oats with fruit.I think bacon and sausage are more expensive with less nutritional value .I expect to eat a couple of hours later, so don't worry about making it last till lunch.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I want to come home with you. That sounds so much better than cereal. Myself and my daughter are the only ones to eat it here. I've found a good source for cereal here at a local store. $2.99 for a HUGE bag and they have several kinds. I buy the Raisen Bran and Honey Nut Oats cheerio type. It lasts for quite a while so I can't complain. My son grabs a cereal bar. He never has liked much breakfast. My husband stops and picks up a bologna biscuit. We all have such different schedules in the morning so cooking just isn't an option.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I only stock up on cereal when it's on a really good sale. If there is no cereal in the house (wasn't on sale) then it's eggs, toast, oatmeal, juice, fruit, etc.

I also make a double batch of pancakes or waffles on the weekend and freeze them for the week.

Anything to cut the high costs of grocery prices!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We make our own granola, hot cereal , museli, muffins, raw cinnamon rolls, pancakes, waffles, healthy spelt doughnuts, baked doughnuts , breakfast cookies, homemade granola bars or copy cat lara bars and never buy cereal anymore as well. I make most of the instant oatmeal , granola or muesli in bulk and have a breakfast bar area where they are in glass gallon jars. We also make omelets, quiche, and egg based breakfast dishes. Yum!

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Grew up on cereal. The really not good for you kind like Captian Crunch. I have been eyeballing some brands thinking I could make some good "candies" with them. Like melting chocolate and mixing in some corn flakes or kashi and spooning on wax paper. Get that crunchy feeling with chocolate.

But the prices keep me from buying any. May look at store brands.

I try to stay away from processed foods which is another reason I haven't bought any.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did go to ALDIS yesterday eggs were .69 cents a dozen and turkey bacon was $1.49 a package. I bought like 10 of them. Also found Healthy choice 7 grain bread marked down to .69 cents at krogers so i bought 6 of those.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grew up on cereal. The really not good for you kind like Captian Crunch. I have been eyeballing some brands thinking I could make some good "candies" with them. Like melting chocolate and mixing in some corn flakes or kashi and spooning on wax paper. Get that crunchy feeling with chocolate.

But the prices keep me from buying any. May look at store brands.

I try to stay away from processed foods which is another reason I haven't bought any.
Sounds really good.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about a hot cooked cereal? We buy cereal flakes from a co-op and get rye, barley, oats, wheat. How about whole grains like wheat, oat groats, barley, millet cooked overnight in a crockpot?

When we do a cooking class, we always include a millet cereal in a crockpot and so far, every single person has loved it. One man even asked for leftovers to take home with him :)

You can add all kinds of dried fruit, coconut, maple syrup, etc. when you start the crockpot. Every morning for breakfast, we have 1 1/2 cups of hot cereal per person, and we add home canned in juice nectarines, blueberries and/or pears, then we add fresh apple, strawberries, peaches or whatever fruit is in season. Then throw in a small handfull of walnuts or a tablespoon of ground flax seed. We never get tired of this because the fruits are always different. We never get hungry before lunch because of all the good fiber.

We gave up on dry cereal many years ago when the kids were small. They could eat a whole box at one meal and then still be hungry before the next meal. It just didn't work for us, besides being insanely expensive. For us, hot cereal is the way to go!!
We do eat Oatmeal, I love cream of wheat. But that has gone out the roof on price also..I love oatmeal with walnuts,rasains and a little brown sugar. Yummy.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eggs are an excellent breakfast so you won't get altzheimers disease they have choline in them so eat them up! My dh has 2 eggs in his smoothie every day!
I grew up on big breakfast every morning. My mom would always have Eggs,bacon or ham, fried potato's and toast or biscuts. Im talking in the 70's and 80's. I don't remember cereal coming into the house unless it was a box a boo berry, which was my favorite. Now days you don't find many families sitting down to breakfast like that anymore.It now pastry products, cereals or fast food.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't eat much cold cereal here either.
~Grits are an economical hot breakfast we love, sure wish the local stores still sold the 5lb bag...Boy was that a good deal. Bet if I lived towards the south I'd be able to find it at a good price.
~Whole wheat toasted English muffins with peanut butter and a touch of jelly, yum!
~Hubby loves Cornmeal mush but I don't, lol.
~How about some toasted corn muffins or corn bread and some fresh fruit.
I remember my parents eating Grits. My dad said growing up thats what the orphanage provide every morning. That was the 1920's in Tn.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love dry cereal,I don't find the prices unreasonable other than for sugary cereals. I always get plain Shredded Wheat, generic, because wheat is the only ingredient.I add a banana or berries and if I am really hungry a hardboiled egg.Most days I have rolled oats with fruit.I think bacon and sausage are more expensive with less nutritional value .I expect to eat a couple of hours later, so don't worry about making it last till lunch.
shredded wheat is good. I use to eat that till i got acid reflux and my throat would swell at times and i would really have a hard time swallowing it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.