Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check came from my dads estate now it has been almost 30 years since he passed, step mom died this year

Anyway today I have been paying off all credit cards, car loans, and the equity loan. I still have enough for an emergency fund, new tires, and the new windows

I should feel excited but all I feel is shame. I know I am doing what he would have wanted but feel he would have been thinking all this should go for your future.

I do plan to increase the auto deposits in the IRA and increase principal payments on the mortage so I am doing the right thing but where is that rush you get from being debt free?

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Big hugs! Please dont feel shame but look at this as a gift from your dad. It is going for a better future since you are getting out of debt.

·
Super Moderator
19,849 Posts
Sometimes when things are given to you, you feel you don't deserve them. But your dad wanted you to have that money, and I'm sure he would be happy to know his gift is allowing you to cancel your debts and do some home improvement and other things that will make your life better.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's not as though you're throwing the money away and spending it irresponsibly.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It is a gift from your father, you are paying off debt, and it WILL affect your future as you move forward with little/or no debt!

When I got my inheritance I used the majority of it wisely and sanely, but I also used a small portion to "splurge" on something for myself.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It IS for your future- a future without debt. Be happy for the gift it is, and honor your Dad's wishes for the $ to going to a better future for you by keeping away from debt down the line. I think he would be proud of you, you're being responsible with his gift- you should be proud of yourself for not 'wasting' it as so many might.

·
2,688 Posts
Your father gave you a gift of lifting the chains
of debt off your shoulders.

I think you made some good money decisions on how to spend it wisely.
Now you can go after the mortgage principal with the money you were
spending every month on the other bills.
Sounds like a really big snowball :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I am feeling a bit better after I realized my emergency fund will go 2x a far without those payments.

For the first time in 30 years we are in a position to save to pay cash for the next car or truck.

On to the next step of saving for expenses and planning for emergencies.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Think of it as an opportunity to erase the past and start over. As they say, tomorrow is the beginning of the rest of your life -- without debt.

When I wrote the last check for our debt I didn't feel excited either. I was stunned for a few days with a "it's over, what do I do now that I don't have debts to pay?" feeling. It took a while for the giddy floaty feeling to sink in after I realized I had no more obligations to creditors and I was FREE.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
For the first time in 30 years we are in a position to save to pay cash for the next car or truck.
But isn't it also a possibility that it also 'drove home' the fact that you have no father ...........even after 30 years. You didn't say what sort of relationship you had.........but it is just 'the final step'.....

When you purchase the next car or truck.....just look to the heavens and thank him........and feel grateful for what he gave you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts