Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 loaves baking right now...once I know they're not a bust I'll post the recipe LOL!

So far they look AWESOME!

Stay tuned!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Huge success!!!!!!!

6 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
2 pk "Instant Dry Yeast"
3T Sugar
1T Salt
3 cups Warm water
2T Shortening
Butter

Preparation
No kneading necessary on this one folks. Preheat oven 375 degrees. In large mixer bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt Mix well. Add warm water (125 degrees or so) and shortening to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, beat 3 minutes at med. speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover and allow to rise in warm place until double. About 30 mins. Stir down batter. Spread in greased 9x5 or 8x4 bread pans. Cover and allow to rise until batter reaches tops of pans, (about 20-30 mins) Bake at 375 degrees for about 35-40 mins til golden brown. Remove from the pans and brush with butter. Allow to cool.

Rosie's notes:
-I did everything in my KA mixer (nothing by hand LOL!)
-Once I got to the stage of gradually adding the remaining 3 cups of flour flour I noticed that I did not need all 3 cups and stopped after adding 2 cups...it really does look likeTHICK doughy batter.
-Poured batter into 2 9x5 loaf pans, let rise for 30 min. and yep it rose to the top of both pans.
-Baked for 35 minutes at listed temp (was CLEARLY golden brown and ready), popped out of pans beautifully to *cool* and brush with butter. **We only waited 15 minutes before slicing and it sliced very nicely!!

I may very well not bother trying other basic white bread recipes for a bit because this was soooooo easy and turned out PERFECT (light, fluffy, nice mild flavour etc).

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i'm gonna give it a try tomorrow! I'll share how it works at my altitude.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does anyone know how much a "packet of yeast is", ie a teaspoon, a tablespoon???? I buy the yeast in the little jar, so I would need an actual measurement.

THANKS!!!

ETA 2 1/4 teaspoons per packet, from the Red Star Yeast site

·
Registered
669 Posts
Active dry yeast is 2 1/4 tsp per envelope
Instant or bread machine yeast is 1 1/2 tsp per envelope.

These are equivalent amounts. The difference is in the method of manufacture. The instant dry yeast is finer granules and the manufacturing process results in more live yeast. For that reason you need less instant than you do of the active dry yeast.

I buy a lb package for not much more than a couple of three envelope strips cost. Pour out what you will use in a couple of months, and freeze the rest in a moisture-proof container. It will be good beyond the use by date.

You don't need to proof the instant dry yeast the way you do the active dry, but I usually do anyway, especially if it's been around a while.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The bread you made is called a batter bread. This is a great way to start making bread - it is easier than kneading bread, and because the dough is soft, you are ensured of a light loaf.

This is a recipe for a rye batter bread, and I am sure that if you used whole wheat flour instead of the rye flour and omit the caraway, you'd end up with a nice whole wheat batter bread.

Recipezaar Recipezaar
Rye Batter Bread

By duonyte on September 08, 2009

* timer
* Prep Time: 20 mins
* Total Time: 2 1/4 hrs
* Servings: 12

Ingredients

o 1 1/4 cups warm water, 100-110 deg. F
o 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
o 2 tablespoons honey
o 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
o 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
o 2 cups all-purpose flour
o 1 cup rye flour
o 1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Directions

1. Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it, stirring to dissolve.
2. Add the remaining water, honey, and butter.
3. Slowly stir in the rye flour and 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, blending well.
4. Stir in the remaining flour, salt and the caraway seeds, to make a stiff batter. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
5. Stir down the batter and pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Bake in a 350 deg oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until done. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
7. Note: The batter should be stiff - like a kuchen or other cake batter. It should not be so stiff that you could imagine kneading it, nor as thin as pancake batter.

© 2010 Food.com. All Rights Reserved. Rye Batter Bread Recipe - Food.com - 389169

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bread you made is called a batter bread. This is a great way to start making bread - it is easier than kneading bread, and because the dough is soft, you are ensured of a light loaf.

This is a recipe for a rye batter bread, and I am sure that if you used whole wheat flour instead of the rye flour and omit the caraway, you'd end up with a nice whole wheat batter bread.

Recipezaar Recipezaar
Rye Batter Bread

By duonyte on September 08, 2009

* timer
* Prep Time: 20 mins
* Total Time: 2 1/4 hrs
* Servings: 12

Ingredients

o 1 1/4 cups warm water, 100-110 deg. F
o 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
o 2 tablespoons honey
o 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
o 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
o 2 cups all-purpose flour
o 1 cup rye flour
o 1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Directions

1. Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it, stirring to dissolve.
2. Add the remaining water, honey, and butter.
3. Slowly stir in the rye flour and 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, blending well.
4. Stir in the remaining flour, salt and the caraway seeds, to make a stiff batter. Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
5. Stir down the batter and pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Bake in a 350 deg oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until done. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
7. Note: The batter should be stiff - like a kuchen or other cake batter. It should not be so stiff that you could imagine kneading it, nor as thin as pancake batter.

© 2010 Food.com. All Rights Reserved. Rye Batter Bread Recipe - Food.com - 389169

THANK YOU! I'm going to give the rye batter bread recipe a try as is and then try it as a whole wheat bread!

I'd never made batter bread before...mostly stuck to crusty artisan bread recipes (love me some crusty bread) but man oh man I really like the convenience of this type of bread too. I whipped up those loaves after working a full day while I was prepping the rest of dinner!! IMO talk about fast and easy!!!!

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal

·
Registered
153 Posts
Huge success!!!!!!!

6 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
2 pk "Instant Dry Yeast"
3T Sugar
1T Salt
3 cups Warm water
2T Shortening
Butter

Preparation
No kneading necessary on this one folks. Preheat oven 375 degrees. In large mixer bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt Mix well. Add warm water (125 degrees or so) and shortening to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened, beat 3 minutes at med. speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover and allow to rise in warm place until double. About 30 mins. Stir down batter. Spread in greased 9x5 or 8x4 bread pans. Cover and allow to rise until batter reaches tops of pans, (about 20-30 mins) Bake at 375 degrees for about 35-40 mins til golden brown. Remove from the pans and brush with butter. Allow to cool.

Rosie's notes:
-I did everything in my KA mixer (nothing by hand LOL!)
-Once I got to the stage of gradually adding the remaining 3 cups of flour flour I noticed that I did not need all 3 cups and stopped after adding 2 cups...it really does look likeTHICK doughy batter.
-Poured batter into 2 9x5 loaf pans, let rise for 30 min. and yep it rose to the top of both pans.
-Baked for 35 minutes at listed temp (was CLEARLY golden brown and ready), popped out of pans beautifully to *cool* and brush with butter. **We only waited 15 minutes before slicing and it sliced very nicely!!

I may very well not bother trying other basic white bread recipes for a bit because this was soooooo easy and turned out PERFECT (light, fluffy, nice mild flavour etc).
So far, so good. It smells wonderful. It just came out of the oven, so too hot to eat, but I'll report back later. Good thing I'll be typing and not talking as I'll probably have a mouth full of bread.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. The smell of fresh baked bread. Cross you fingers, lets hope it tastes as good as it smells.

THANKS for the recipe!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so happy it turned out well for you too! This recipe is def a keeper in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!:teddy2:

ETA: Tomorrow I'll be baking the rye batter bread recipe that Saule posted for us...I'll post a review too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did anyone try making the whole wheat version? I would love to see if it worked without adding gluten!

·
Registered
870 Posts
AWESOME! I can't wait to try these recipes! Maybe this weekend when it's too cold to go outside! I think they'd taste great with spaghetti & meatsauce or homemade soup!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did anyone try making the whole wheat version? I would love to see if it worked without adding gluten!
Doesn’t look like it>>> I challenge you to bake a batch of the whole wheat batter bread:toast:and then post a review for us! :chef:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Since this calls for 2 pkts of yeast, I am going to try to cut the recipe in half. It's just me and I don't need 2 loaves of bread, and since this seems to be so easy, I can just make 1 loaf when I need it. Has anyone every cut this recipe in half? Do you think it will work if I just halve everything? I'm going to try this weekend, I'll report back! Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since this calls for 2 pkts of yeast, I am going to try to cut the recipe in half. It's just me and I don't need 2 loaves of bread, and since this seems to be so easy, I can just make 1 loaf when I need it. Has anyone every cut this recipe in half? Do you think it will work if I just halve everything? I'm going to try this weekend, I'll report back! Thanks!
I've been wondering that too! I'd love this recipe even more than I already do if it works!!!!!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i still havent gotten to it. when you are mixing it and are at the point of "pouring" it into the bread pan...it's pourable? like a thick...cake batter? oor am i thinking this wrong?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Or maybe you could make the full recipe and freeze 1 loaf? I'm craving homemade bread now :lip:

·
Registered
669 Posts
The issue with whole wheat will be to get the balance of flour to liquid right. Whole wheat flour needs more liquid to hydrate fully - the bran layer just needs more water to soften. Adding gluten helps it rise more, because the sharp edges of the bran cut the gluten strands.

You can make it without the gluten, but it might not rise as much. Adding a bit more water will help, and since this is a batter bread, you don't have to worry about the dough holding its shape - you are not forming a loaf that has to support itself.

Give the whole wheat version more time to rise - do not be tied to the clock, let the dough do its thing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts