Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day, when my son was about 18 months old, I was painting in my living room and ran to get a telephone call. I started chatting and watched my son walk into the kitchen where I was standing with my palette in one hand and my deep purple acrylic paint covering the other and about to drop onto the carpet. EEEK! That's when I tried to make a temporary switch to computer art. I thought I give it a try as a less messy alternative as long as little hands were roaming the house.
After a few years, I've really gotten the hang of it and I'm having lots of fun. I miss the smell and feel of the real stuff, but I'm appreciating the low cost of digital art for the time being. I found a program called art rage, and it handles just like real art supplies. I got a wacom tablet so I can make movements just like with a pencil and it registers what I'm doing in the painting. So- if you're a mom and you need a less messy way of doing art, you should try it. Or if you just need to tighten up as far as supplies, Art rage is a download for $25, I think, and the supplies are limitless, every color you can imagine, pastels, chalk, and everything. It's worth a look, and it saved my carpet. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if that program has been updated and is still sold? Since this was posted in 2009, I'm guessing that the original program might be out of date but then too, maybe not because I have a program called Digital Image Pro 9 and bought it before 2005 and I can still install and use it, even up to Windows 7. I don't know about anything past that because I'm still using the Win 7.

It does sound really nice, to be able to do art without the mess and having to spend money on supplies, etc. and I imagine if you wanted it on paper, get it printed and there ya go. I might have to look and see what type of programs are out there [that are EASY to use!]

Scarlett Kaye

·
Registered
225 Posts
AndrewSaintus2020,

I was happy to hear more about using an iPad for doing art. I have a friend who lives overseas from where I do and she had bought in the past year or year and a half and seems to really love it.

To me, it would be so much more portable to be able to take with me and work on if I want to and also not only that, it would be cheaper than buying a lot of expensive supplies AND too, it would free up a lot of space in my small apartment that the art supplies take up.

The only problem though is that in July of this year, I just bought a new laptop (the first one since 2013 or before!) and so I really don't "need" another device right now (if that makes sense?)

I think I'll look around online and do my research and see if this would be something I just couldn't live without and if I find that to be true, then I just might take the dive and buy one! 😀 😀

But, should it be something that I want (but think I could live without for awhile) then what I probably will do is to start saving so much $ a month towards buying one and get it at a later date. Will see how that works (since I tend to be one when I decide that I "must" have something even though it is a necessity, I usually end up with one because I couldn't stand waiting for it. 😂 😁

Thanks for your input here about the iPad Pro with the Apple pencil.

Have a great day!

Scarlett

1 - 4 of 4 Posts