Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 6159 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September no-spend challenge

Way back, when I first joined FV, I recall we had monthly no-spend goals; i.e, like the grocery challenges, we would see how many days out of the month we could go without spending any money.

I don't see that thread any more, so I am reviving it. :) I will be adding a no-spend tag to my sig and will start on Sept 1. Anyone else game?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm in, I need to cut back anyway!! :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm in for 25 no spend days...

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Now if I understand this anything that is already IN THE BUDGET and or allowance doesn't count right.

Today I have to go buy ink for the computer printer but it is IN THE BUDGET so that isn't a no spend day because I spent or it is a no spend day because it is a planned budgeted expense like grocery shopping??

:cents:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm in, I'm thinking 20 no spend days. We don't count bill paying etc right? What about grocery shopping?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm in, I'm thinking 20 no spend days. We don't count bill paying etc right? What about grocery shopping?
I consider a budgeted shopping trip with a list not a spend day, but just running in to grab something, I count as a spend. That keeps me out as much as possible!

Reactions: walker24

·
Registered
236 Posts
I so need this!!!! We have to save as much as possible this month. Count me in!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Oh yes count me in!!!
It will be a no spend month except groceries, bills, music lessons, gas!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I list my days, any day I spend money, even if it is budgeted, is a day I spent money. So I will never have a perfect, no-spend month. That way, I can't make an excuse of "oh, but that was a NECESSARY expense."

But your challenge is your challenge. If you are disciplined enough to not cheat (and I am not :D), then I don't see any problem not counting certain budgeted and necessary expenses.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The way I list my days, any day I spend money, even if it is budgeted, is a day I spent money. So I will never have a perfect, no-spend month. That way, I can't make an excuse of "oh, but that was a NECESSARY expense."

But your challenge is your challenge. If you are disciplined enough to not cheat (and I am not :D), then I don't see any problem not counting certain budgeted and necessary expenses.
Well for me I am considering anything in the budget to be a no spend day.

Today I had to buy INK and Coffee. They were both in the columner pad so they were budgeted expenses. So I say mine were no spend items.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for all your answers. I like the idea of grocery shopping and sticking to my list not being a spend day. Even more incentive to put my blinders on in the grocery store.

·
Registered
886 Posts
i will join for this month, as i want to save as much as i can.
i dont get paid until the 4th and i have no money left as i cant spend anything until then. lol. i'll try and keep up

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm in. To bad I didn't read this thread before I went to the pet store. So I'm not off to a great start! I have noticed that if I have to account for something on FV then I think twice about the money I am spending. This site makes me way more accountable and it's great!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks for all your answers. I like the idea of grocery shopping and sticking to my list not being a spend day. Even more incentive to put my blinders on in the grocery store.
Just make sure you don't buy anything extra. :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woo hoo!! Made it through Day 1!! Officially going off now to change my sig to 1/30! Of course, it helped that I spent the day at home for the federal holiday. Tomorrow will be the real challenge.

3tomboys, I feel your pain. All day yesterday, I felt this unrealistic need to run out and buy something so that I wouldn't do it today! :D (I didn't, by the way.) I know that first day that I have to go buy something will hurt. (Which is probably a good thing.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm in too!! I really need this challenge since we over spent on school clothes for DD, poor girl had nothing that fit. Really need to get caught up with bills!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
im joining too, i spend way to much (well, more than i wish) on playing the lotto online, so will cut down on that

and maybe too on the groceries buy more store brands than i do currently

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am in this month. I need this. I dont count bills, savings, or things like school fees, gymnastics, bowling as spending. BUT i do count grocery shopping, and other shopping in my spend days. Any days I spend money.

Sept 1st was NOT a no spend day. Had the back to school dinner we do every year.

Sept 2nd was no spend day!

1/2

1 - 20 of 6159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.