Frugal Village Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 6159 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've made it the first two days, but will have to have a spend day prior to Sunday, both to get groceries and to get a few things for my soap-making escapade this weekend.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So far so good. Three true no-spend days in a row for me!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Doing good so far, 9/1 and 9/2 were absolutely no spending. Today I took the cat to the vet, but it was less than I budgeted. Don't you love when that happens? So I'm counting it 3/3 since it was in the budget. Also turned a coworker down for lunch out at Taco Bell. I brought a lunch, but for some reason the neon cheese at Taco Bell calls to me. This really makes you think of all the odds and ends that come around monthly or every few months.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Okay, I envy someone who is together enough to budget the cat's visit to the vet. :)

I'm three for three. Today will probably be my first transgression, as I'm taking the day off of work and I really want to get those soap-making supplies. Oh, and food. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
haha, we just adopted the cat at the end of August so I knew the vet visit was coming. We'll see if the next visit makes it into the budget. Good job so far everyone!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I even budget in INK for the printer. I try to have zero surprises so if something needs buying I get it on paper before the first of the month comes up...see no surprises!

A slush fund and allowances often catch the unexpected too.:chug:

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sheer laziness (and not getting out of work until 1:30 am today) saved me yesterday. Another no spend day. But the shopping list is getting longer.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well we are back from Nova Scotia and we managed quite well with the no spending so far!
I thought for sure I would have to spend quite a bit on Mon. and Tues. because we were travelling but I managed VERY well.
On Monday we drove to the bay of Fundy (free), then went to Lawrencetown beach (it actually became sunny!!!!!!), it was so beautiful there we spent the remainder of the day relaxing,walking and playing in the waves.
We had breakfast at the cottage, packed lunch and snacks but didn't get home early enough to make dinner at the cottage (it was our last day and we wanted to stay at the beach), so we went to Smitty's and spent $43 (for 5) ugh!
Tuesday was our last day. Breakfast was leftovers and lunch was packed. I packed every smidgeon of leftover food into our suitcases to bring home.
I thought we would go to the Peir 21 museum, but the weather was so nice and we would have a long flight home so we went to point pleasant park instead (free). Had our picnic lunch, then headed to the airport. Paid for our rental car UGH! But it was expected and budgeted and so a no spend item.
Then I expected to have to buy dinner on the plane because I had nothing left but a few snacks. We filled our water bottles after we went through security at the water fountain. Then we were told that our plane was delayed at least 3 hours!!!!!! Oh my gosh, we were going to miss all our connecting flights....!!! After alot of hand wringing and 3.5 hours later we received a flight home to a different airport and then they paid for a LIMO to drive us to the other airport and our car!!!! The kids loved it.

But even better they gave us $10 food vouchers for dinner, $50 in all. And with it I bought enough tasty sandwiches, fruit and snacks for our dinner and to snack on the plane! So I ended up spending ZIP (except rental car)!!

Weds. I did grocery shopping but no other expenses.
And today is a no spend day too.

So far so good!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow, Hollyhill, that is great!! I have managed a limo ride courtesy of the airport once, as well. The enjoyment wasn't worth the stress beforehand of my first leg being late and my second leg leaving right on time even though the dozen or so of us who were supposed to be catching it were IN the airport and running for it. I got there and they had literally just closed the gate. Initially, the airport said so sorry, guess you'll have to wait until the morning, would you like a list of suggested hotels? Then, when the mob mentality started to form, they changed their minds and tried to help us out. In my case, it was a limo ride from one airport to another, so I could catch a flight out of there. Did I mention that this was after being away from home for over FOUR months, and really looking forward to getting back?

But I am getting OT. First, I am very envious that you got to take a trip to Nova Scotia. Second, FANTASTIC job of watching the pennies!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

I understand completely.....The limo wasn't worth the aggravation...besides it was 2:00AM pacific time and 6:00 AM atlantic time and so the limo was so comfy I fell fast asleep(unlike on the plane)!

The kids were happy though LOL.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good job not giving into vacation spending craziness!
I decided to count grocery shopping as a spend day. I'm thinking this will encourage me to keep grocery shopping as a chore that eats a spend day instead of a free spending spree. So today is my first spend day of the month.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That is kind of why I kept grocery shopping on the list. That makes me have to think about what I need, rather than make multiple trips (and multiple spend days) and reduces the likelihood of impulse purchases. Today, for example, will be a spend day, once it cools off enough for me to get on the road.

·
Registered
956 Posts
well, so far I'm only doing so-so. the 1st and 2nd were no spend days, but Wednesday had a "honey, could you go to town and get...." request from DH (and a kid went with me - total money waster) and today I had to run money into town for DH (who was passing through town on his run) and ended up eating dinner out with DH. @@ I've got to buckle down. The only expense I see coming up though is a quick grocery trip tomorrow for a few things for DD's sleepover on saturday.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Day four in a row for me. Tomorrow will be a spend, as I will be getting paid and going to the market for produce.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I am still not counting grocery shopping or any budgeted expense because I never spend over my alloted amount and so it is a challenge and fun to keep things under where they should be.

I also grocery shop, stockpile, pet food, allowances and gas up the car with cash.

Sometimes money from one spills over into the next or even saves me to keep me on budget.

To me a "spend" day is a bad day that you didn't plan, isn't in the budget, or you just messed up.

When I type no spend day I am not as hard core as you ladies are. I just wanted to clairify that so you guys didn't think I lived in a cave with a big rock over the door and I can't get out to spend any money:loser: lol!

I am just a serous budgeter--it is alllll accounted for.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I get that cricketlegs. I've noticed I'm using grocery shopping and stockpiling as a way to "kill" the shopping bug when I get it. So not a good idea. I think budgeting ink makes you pretty hardcore!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Okay, finally got out to get groceries, so I have one "spend" day. I picked up groceries, soap-making supplies, and some greeting cards (birthday and a wedding). Total cost was $207.92, but that included supplies that will go into my stockpile (as I'm also running a self-sufficiency challeng for anyone who is interested).

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Well so far I am at home and at no spend 9/5.

Dh did call me to tell me he heard from step dd she needs a book for college--by Sunday!

A lot I can do when no one contacts ME--the one who controls the money.

I sent her a text but so far--nothing.....

21 - 40 of 6159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.