Frugal Village Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 6159 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've had 4 no spend days in a row so far. Since buying DD's birthday party/sleepover supplies on Friday, I've only left the house once (to take niece and nephew home from sleepover), and haven't spent a cent. Good thing too, since this is looking to be a very short pay month for DH.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Way to go, Starlight9803!!! It is amazing how easy it is to avoid spending just by making the decision to stay home, isn't it? :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yesterday was no spend for me. I used giftcard for lunch out for my bday and my ex paid for dinner last night for my bday gift. 7/10.

Today is no spend as well. so 8/11 no spend days!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Staying home today 9/11

Made 2 gallons laundry soap, starched dhs work clothes and I am about to press them thus saving laundry service charges.

My press has now paid for itself.:rollsmile

Mom gave me a load of fresh veggies so I am about to chop and freeze them.

Dh gone all weekend to a fishing tourny and just left so dinner will be a much smaller affair with dd and I only.

Went to get gas yesterday with $60 but it was only $43 so I was able to get dog food, hamburger for last night and tonight and cheese all without using money from the budget except for the gas money.

I am ahead of the game!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not doing so well with this challenge!! It seems everyday there has been some small thing to spend $ on. Yesterday it was a loaf of bread, day before extra gas in the van, day before that I gave in to my chocolate craving!
I'll have to buckle down. Tomorrow my DD has a eye doc appt., so there is a copay...geez.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
WTG starlight and cricketlegs.... you ladies are doing so well!

Yesterday was a spend day for me. I had to go buy Bd party supplies for little Dd and Bd gifts for eldest Dd. But I was happy with how well I did. All Bd supplies (balloons, goodie bags, prizes, craft supplies) came to $34! I love Dollar giant! We are doing it on a Best Friends theme and it is working out very well. I even have supplies for the Princess Tea party she is going to give for her younger friends.
I think including food I will be able to keep the sleepover party to under $60.

The present for Dd was a Timex sport watch (ironman) ( I got that for $55 and I had a $15 off coupon so it will have cost $40. I also bought her a sherlock holmes compedium (all his best stories) for $18. I am still looking for a reasonably priced stainless steel water bottle (cheapest so far is $10) for her. I also wanted to buy her a super comfy bed pillow (ours are so old) but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $24. I went so far as lining up at the cashier just to give it back to the cashier LOL!

Today will be a no spend day though.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
One thing that I've found that helps, Amanjud, is if you have a day that you know you are going to end up spending, that you think about what else you are going to have to get in the near future and go ahead and get it that day as well. Psychologically, it helps to have only one spend day, even if you went to four different places and spent money that day.

For example, on the day you bought gas for the van, if you thought about it, a bit, you might have realized you were going to need bread as well, and bought it the same day, thus turning two spend days into one. I can't help you on the chocolate craving though!! :)

But part of this challenge is so that we can all recognize and assess how we spend our money, and it looks like you are doing that, so I'd say you are still ahead of most people!!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
One thing that I've found that helps, Amanjud, is if you have a day that you know you are going to end up spending, that you think about what else you are going to have to get in the near future and go ahead and get it that day as well. Psychologically, it helps to have only one spend day, even if you went to four different places and spent money that day.

For example, on the day you bought gas for the van, if you thought about it, a bit, you might have realized you were going to need bread as well, and bought it the same day, thus turning two spend days into one. I can't help you on the chocolate craving though!! :)

But part of this challenge is so that we can all recognize and assess how we spend our money, and it looks like you are doing that, so I'd say you are still ahead of most people!!
I do this not for a all spend day but simply because I like to save time and gas and I deal with bill paying 3 times a month. Gas(if needed) 3 times a month and I spend and run on those days as well as go to the bank etc. I map it out, budget it in, and grab my list and I get it done.

That keeps me HOME and my purse home, and gas in my car!

My car wants to drive my purse out to eat when I am out so I must keep them both safe at home and must limit my outings.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My car wants to drive my purse out to eat when I am out so I must keep them both safe at home and must limit my outings.
LOL! Mine wants to do that too!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Okay, it was a spend day for me. My sister is planning a surprise bday party for her husband, and she asked me to cater it, so I met with her to go over arrangements. Of course, she wanted to go have sushi ($$) AND dessert ($$$). I paid the bill ($31.61), but she is going to pay me to do the catering, so I guess: a) it is a tax write-off and b) I can add the cost into my fee. Nevertheless, it was a spend day. :(

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

LOL! We must have the same car!!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I do alot of spending on saturday. if i need something during week i try to stretch it.

i needed conditioner for a week, i found samples that i managed to squeeze out until i needed to go to store for something else on saturday. i also ran out of toothpaste, i cut it open and we got 2 more days out of it. then i cleaned out my travel size stuff and i had half tube, we can make it until saturday! yay!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't updated in a few so here goes- Tuesday I had to go to walmart for Rxs. Ended up being in there for an hour and half because the dr called my daughter's cingulair in twice, but in two different strengths. But that's a whole nother story. No spend yesterday and then grocery shopping today. So I'm at 7 no spend days. I'm going to try and stay out of stores for a week at least for the sake of my grocery budget.

------Awesome job on making due with what you had Lextysmommy!

Reactions: LexTysMommy

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
okay okay today I spent...

I went and got dd and I movies--we never get movies and I went out to lunch!

Oh and I had to run back to the movie store because of a mixup and ended up buying dd two Twilight posters--oh well, I will take it all out of my allowance next week AKA Mama done gone and spent her allowance!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Today is no spend day! as hard as it is for me not to grab my friday night subs. at cousins here they are 2 for $5 and i usually get 2 eat one tonight then one sometime this weekend. BUT i will not do that. i have food here. am making dinner. then NOT going anywhere that helps!

9/12 no spend days! only 3 days i spent! One day was a planned before school dinner. one day was a must spend day on dd bday, gas, household stuff, kids bowling. and one day was my stupid sub day.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
SIGH! Today was another "spend" day for me. I am close to running out of baby bird food formula for my two little Gouldians, so I had to buy some more. Also picked up hand-feeding syringes, as the ones I have are starting to stick a bit, and some new food dishes for the parrots (who think dragging their dishes to the edge of the cage and dropping them off to watch them break is fun).

Since it is already a spend day, if I have the energy, I'll stop at the store and pick up a few more groceries, as well as a few items for my stockpile.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yesterday I had to spend! I went to pick up DVD for Dd's BD party. I had two free coupons so I thought it would be free. But they didn't have the DVD dear daughter wanted (Ever After, with Drew Barrymore). So I ended up buying it! $11.99!

I hope today will be a no spend day. I am taking Dd and remaining friend and our son to an open house at the wall climbing centre. It is a FREE day.

And then maybe go to the lake because it is so nice today.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
okay okay today I spent...
And here I was JUST about to make you my new hero. :) You are still miles ahead of me in your budgeting abilities. I can only aspire to the skill that you have reached!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Taking the kiddos to the library to pick up some easy readers and maybe a DVD. We'll probably head to the park to as it's close to the library. Trying hard to make it a no spend weekend.

61 - 80 of 6159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.