9,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very clever use of leftovers that would otherwise get thrown out:

Facebook video: Veg Hacks: Veg peelings stock powder

Reactions: miteigenenhaenden

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Been doing that for yrs. I don't use any seasonings, and throw in any poultry bones I have, too. It all makes a good, rich broth, way better than canned. I either freeze it or can it in pint containers.

Whoops, missed the part about dehydrating it. I should try that for making ramen seasoning and other mixes that call for bouillon. Wouldn't add 20% salt though. Shouldn't need any, especially if it's only veggies. Sounds good otherwise.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I guess I do this. When I don't have a need for any more stock/broth that is pressure canned, I collect the scraps in the freezer like usual. After I get enough to fill my dehydrator, I thaw it out, drain it, and then dehydrate it all. Once dried, I put through a food processor or spice grinder to turn it into a powder. Then I use that powder on anything that can use the extra nutrients/flavor. I have no idea how many nutrients are retained this way, but I assume it's more than the nothing I'd get if I tossed it in the compost.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I made corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes in the Crock yesterday. Saved the cooking liquid in the fridge overnight, skimmed off the fat, and froze 2 qts of seasoned broth. It makes more sense to me than dumping it.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I can broth sometimes, too, but it's usually easier for me to just freeze it. Either way, I love having rich homemade broth ready to use at a moment's notice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts