Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dh and I are going on a weekend getaway on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. It'll be our first getaway without Mini since she was born... So excited!

We're planning to visit Vermont because it is relatively close to home. We were in Stowe two years ago and really liked it. We're considering going back but also wondered about other places to see/ stay at.
We were considering JayPeak, but I'm having a bit of trouble finsing info.

So your suggestions and tips are welcome. What are your must see in Northern Vermont?

T

·
0 Posts
The Magic Hat Brewery. If you're going a little further south, the Ben and Jerry's factory tour and Green Mountain Coffee.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Telephus!
I am excited about Ben & Jerry's! Last time we went to Stowe, the place was closes because of a bad storm... Hope we'll be more lucky this time.

T

·
0 Posts
We went for our honeymoon (long time ago). I loved the flavor graveyard!

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Cold Hollow Cider Mill is in the same area, Rt 100 between Stowe and Ben & Jerry's. Fun and free to visit, lots of samples. Also further down the road there is the Cabot Cheese outlet, same deal.

If you are in a car (i.e., not towing an RV) it is fun to drive the mountain road between Stowe and Jeffersonville, Smuggler's Notch.

In the Barre area, see the granite quarry and visitor's center, (2 locations), also free I believe. Walk around downtown Montpelier, nation's smallest capital. They have a history museum (not free) and fun shops, and the capitol building.

There is a neat cemetery in Barre with a lot of granite memorials carved by great artisans. Can't remember the name of it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you JoeSantoro!
We were at the cider mill, loved watching the cider production. :)
Getting more and more excited...
Any suggestions on nice places to stay? Seems awfully expensive, I checked a few places and was a bit scared!

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
Oh wow, I did not see that you were coming Oct. 14. Do not even leave your house unless you already have lodging reservations. It is prime foliage season and esp. on weekends everything will be full. Any chance you can make it mid-week?

If you do get stuck, the tourist info center in Barre (I think) runs a service to try to find you a room in someone's house so you don't have to sleep in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts